Thread: PS approach for fogged Velvia 100 shot?

Angry PS approach for fogged Velvia 100 shot?

Alas, one of my favourite shots from a recent trip was taken on 5x7 velvia 100 and unfortunately it is a bit fogged here and there. The detail seems good but I coudln;t print it like this, so my tack will be to scan and PS and then probably go with lightjet output.

The problem is the PS part! Has anyone developed a strategy for dealing with this type of thing- coloured fog?

Here is the image and the offending fog, scanned at rather low res on a flatbed. Incidentally the fog is somehow more noticeable in the scan than on the chrome itself

My initial thought is to copy the red channel and go to Lab mode and paste the red channel into the L channel, and make an overlay etc. I am somewhat opposed to selective editing solutions but will go that way for fine tuning if necessary. It just seems to me that this whitish-cyan kind of fog has such an unnatural colour that there should be a global solution to remove most of it. True?

One other thing, I am not going to print enormously, many of these 5x7 velvia captures were done at 1:1 and that's roughly how I would intend to print them... 1:1 or maybe a bit larger.

P.S. The only suggestion that I forbid is to tell me to crop out the fogged portion

P.P.S. Walter: thanks for your suggestions on the other site, that may be the only way to go, but I am still hoping for a more global approach so I will ask for help here as well.

Preston Birdwell

Re: PS approach for fogged Velvia 100 shot?

Keith,

I have a 4x5 Astia shot of a juniper detail that has some fog. I carefully used 'Color Range' dropper to select the spots and then saved the selection as a channel. Once the selction was saved, I was able to work on it and get rid of the fog. It took some time, but the results were worth the effort.

I hope this helps.

-Preston
    Last edited by Preston; 17-Nov-2007 at 17:22. Reason: Misspelling
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."