Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best way to carry lenses in the field?

What's the best way to carry lenses in the field?

Thanks to an unexpected infusion of cash and some trading, I now own five lenses for my view cameras instead of the previous three. What is the best way to car ry these around in the field? My backpack had no problem keeping two lenses sep arated but now that I'm carrying an extra pair around, I am concerned about them bumping into each other and damaging something.

Right now, I simply wrap each of them in a piece of flannel cut from an old shir t and use rubber bands to keep the flannel in place. I'd like to find a better way but not one that's bulkier or expensive to implement as the extra money that was the "cause" of this problem is all gone now... :^(

Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated!

After contemplating a similar problem I came across Domke wraps. Large slightly padded wraps with velcro closure (don't need the rubber bands)that you "wrap" around any piece of equipment. They come in a variety of sizes and colours and are reasonably priced. They prevent equipment from the day-to-day bumps and take up very little room. In a well padded case I dont need anything else !! Regards Paul

Calumet makes some nice wraps also. Pat

The Calumet wraps that Pat refers to look good. In their UK catalogue they list two sizes 10"x10" and 18"x18" resonably priced too. However I carry my lenses in small stuff sacs available from camping shops then I wrap them in bubble wrap b ags. I stack lens in twos separated by a foam divider. So far I've had no proble ms.

My lenses are mounted on Linhof Technika boards and I keep them in the neoprene bags made by Zing. The one exception is the 90mm f/4.5 Grandagon which is too big. That one resides in a medium lens pouch from Domke's Outpack system.

I like f:64 wraps for lenses mounted on Sinar-sized boards. Well made and not too bulky.

Using a deep purple felt bag a fifth of Crown Royal comes in is considered chic in some circles. I guess it shows good taste. but sip the whisky after taking the pictures. At many used camera stores or swapmeets there will be cardboard boxes filled with old camera and lens cases, for funky old stuff. Leather ones can often be found. Many can be adapted as lens carriers with a little spare bubble wrap.

My solution is bulky but cheap. I bought a couple of Rubbermaid plastic food containers for a few dollars each and lined them with foam rubber. The lens/lens board combo fits inside and the lid snaps on tight. They take up a bit more room in my pack, but I know the lenses are well protected.

It really depends what size your lens panels are, as to what's suitable, so here's just a general outline of what I've found works.For storage and general vehicle transport, I use some strong plastic boxes, just a bit deeper than the height of my lens panels. The base and lid of the boxes have stiff plastic foam an inch thick stuck to them. The foam has slots cut in it to take the top and bottom edges of the panels, and the lenses and shutters just sit in the air space between. All the lenses are fitted with front and rear caps.I've fitted 3 'slim' lenses in one box, and 2 hour-glass wideangle lenses in another. The boxes are only about 5x7x9 inches in size.If I ever need to backpack any of it, (perish the thought) I've got some neat little bubble-pak bags that'll take a lens each. No fancy name on them, but then again, no fancy price tag either.

One solution for many lenses is to obtain any one of several binocular cases from REI - an outdoor/recreational supplies store. The cases are clamshell in shape & semi-hard. found one that holds my Rodenstock wide angle perfectly. They're zippered, black in color and will certainly take the knocks. The have belt loops and even a tether if you want to hang it from your shoulder. A little pricey but they should last forever if you take care of 'em.