Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New idea?? Inexpensive daylight Softube processing of sheet film

Re: New idea?? Inexpensive daylight Softube processing of sheet film

Ed, thanks so much for posting this idea. I'm new to LF (< 1 year), and was getting very unsatisfactory results in my daylight tanks that I use for 35mm and 120 (since I don't have a dark space, I haven't yet tried tray development).

I was about to reluctantly (I'm also on a pretty serious budget) spring for a Jobo 2500-series tank and reels when I read your post. I did everything you suggested, and voila - 3 perfectly developed 4x5 sheets in my small stainless steel tank. My question is, can you really squeeze them in there (perhaps 4 or 5 sheets) and still get even development? For this first time I wanted to make sure there was plenty of room in the tank and the sheets weren't touching.

Thanks again!
    Duane

I'm one of those who used window screen as a backing inside a PVC tube. I occasionally got a negative in which the pattern of the screen was evident. I've never isolated the cause - the negatives with the pattern were not processed any differently than negatives that did not show the pattern. The pattern has showed up on Efke, Forte and Kodak films - I believe all of them were developed in one of the Pyrocats, as that's what I generally use. The pattern does not come off on refixing or rewashing.
    juan

In answer to how many sheets can fit into a 120 daylight tank: I shoot 5x7 and 3 of those will fit in a circle on one layer when folded the short way. I can fold them the long way and easily get 4 to a layer, and with some care I squish a 5th softube into the circle. I don't know how that translates into 4x5. Obviously you will be able to get more per layer. These are all touching back to back in various places, but fully protected from scratching inside the screen tubes. I have never had a "screen imprint" on any negative. I don't understand how that could happen unless you accidentally load the film emulsion out so that it contacts the screen. I am using D76 1:1.

Well, thanks for posting this. I'm always game for trying stuff. Been very happy with the JOBO but 11X14 is a royal pain one at a time. I forced myself to do 5 and 6 at a time in a tray with the new 5X14 but now my brain is picturing 6 tubes with 5X14 film in a 2800 series or maybe a 3063 Jobo tank. That would be a fabulous "problem" to solve. 6 5X14's up in the ATL while I'm down having dinner. That would be pretty neat. Maybe 3 12X20's. Very cool! Love it when someone comes up with a good idea these days!

For 5X14 I'm picturing a hard tube that the film goes in, hard tube goes in soft tube. Hold onto end of film while pulling the hard tube out for the next load and etc. I suppose I'll get micro scratches........but you oughta see the abortion I created doing them by hand in a tray. Anything would be better than that.

Stand processing of 12x20? Sounds like a neat idea, got some photo's, although who needs them, I've seen window screens, use them for drying prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    At one time 8x10 BTZS tubes were made and you can occasionally find them used (I sold mine a few years ago) but they aren't currently being made (unless things have changed in the last few years, I haven't looked lately).
    8x10 BTZS tubes are currently listed on The View Camera Store's website.
    Roger

In this (old) thread, there's talk about "window screen". I do understand both words separatly, but I don't understand what it is. Plastic ? Fabric ? Can someone please explain or show a picture of it ?

Thanks,
    Stefan.

Quote Originally Posted by gliderbee View Post
    In this (old) thread, there's talk about "window screen". I do understand both words separatly, but I don't understand what it is. Plastic ? Fabric ? Can someone please explain or show a picture of it ?
    Window screen is a metal or fiberglass mesh. When metal, the wire used is fine--perhaps 22-gauge--and the mesh openings are typically 1/16", or somewhere between 1 and 2 mm. They are used over windows to prevent insects, particularly mosquitoes, from entering the house when the windows are open.

Rick "suspecting the fiberglass screen was the preferred material for this project, which still apparently never got off the ground" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Window screen is a metal or fiberglass mesh. When metal, the wire used is fine--perhaps 22-gauge--and the mesh openings are typically 1/16", or somewhere between 1 and 2 mm. They are used over windows to prevent insects, particularly mosquitoes, from entering the house when the windows are open.

Rick "suspecting the fiberglass screen was the preferred material for this project, which still apparently never got off the ground" Denney
    Ok ! I know what it meant now. Thank you very much !

Stefan.

If you are using screen material be careful of two things, this from an experiment I did last year with the HP Combi tanks and using screen material as a separator between sheets of film to do twelve sheets at a time.

1) If its a plastic based material you must temper the screen material in the chemicals you use to wash pigment out of the screen material. I did not and on my test runs had the screen material imprint a criss cross image onto the film. These could not be cleaned off the film and I also did not want to spent the extra time processing.
    2) If you use a diluted developer you may need to determine how much developer is needed to develop the additional negatives.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.