Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source of Glass for Framing

Cool Source of Glass for Framing

I have imposed on my local frame shop to sell me some 11x14 and 20x16 non reflective glass, but would like to find a source for framing glass that has good references.

Anybody?

Re: Source of Glass for Framing

I ordered a box of 16x20 lites from TruVue (http://www.tru-vue.com/index.asp)a while back (Perfect Vue). I'm not a framer or a distributer. Not sure if they will still do that.
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up

If you have a "glass and mirror" distributor in your town, you can probably source picture-frame glass from them at very reasonable costs in bulk. Considering its weight and fragility, trying to find a wholesale source locally that custom cuts glass is one of the better ways to go.

Your frame shop is a retailer, so you should expect to pay less if you can buy in bulk.

You might also consider your local full-service hardware store, such as an ACE franchise.

Your best source would be a framing supplies company. If you do very much framing, you can buy glass, Tru-Vue is the best, by the box and pay a fraction of the hardware store or glass retailer price. It might mean cutting it yourself if you don’t use standard sizes but you should be able to buy it with one dimension the right size. I live in St. Louis, MO and get my glass from a place in Kansas City.

Jerome

Herb,

Where do you live. If you can demonstrate that you are selling the work and have a sales tax number you can purchase glass, mats, frames, and all of your framing needs from a wholesale distributor in your area.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Dave Karp

This is where I get my stuff from. It could be very expensive to ship the glass from N. Hollywood. In my experience washed glass still needs to be washed, so its not worth the extra expense. They are also a good source for matboard.

http://www.valleymoulding.com

I agree about Tru Vue glass. It tends to be cleaner than most other makers. I now only use their Conservation Clear UV glass and their more expensive glasses now. The UV clear and more expensive glasses are even cleaner and need less touch up than other glasses so you spend less time.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Well if you buy Tru Vue in bulk the boxes weigh 50 or 55 lbs each, so shipping them would be expensive, I can get just about anything that they make, but it would be cost prohibitive to ship it anywhere more than 25 miles away. If you buy in bulk, that means cases of it, and are selling your work through a business, most any wholesaler should be willing to sell to you.

If you call them, they should be able to tell you who the distributor is in the area closest to you..

Tru Vue, Inc.
    9400 W. 55th Street
    McCook, Illinois 60525
    Toll Free: 800.621.8339
    Main Tel.: 708.485.5080

They make premium clear, as well as museum, and many other grades of glass.

8x10 comes 90 pieces to the case,11x14 comes 47 pieces to the case, 16x20 comes 23 pieces to the case

Dave

Doug Dolde

If you can afford the Tru Vue Museum glass it is amazing. They have a little display with a piece of museum glass next to some other glass. You'd try to reach right through the museum glass it's that clear and glare free.