I read some old threads on this site which brought up the correct way to focus a n image on the ground glass: The general idea was to make sure that you are view ing the image that's being formed by the lens on the frosted side of the ground glass (and not any other plane).

Two suggestions to accomplish this were to either use a simple hand held magnify ing glass (like those used by stamp collectors)to get a magnified view of the im age formed on the frosted side of the ground glass, or to use a "focusable" focu sing loupe. With such a loupe, you "calibrate" the focus by removing the camer a lens from the front of the view camera so that the ground galss is bathed in u nfocused light, then adjust the loupe's focus by viewing the ground glass, focu sing until the grains on the frosted side of the ground glass were sharpest.

Now the equipment question is: can anybody out there then recommend a focusable focusing loupe compatible with view camera use? I would be particularly intere sted to know if the Wista 7x loupe, which is long and can be used through a fold ing hood, is focusable... I do realize that many loupe have "diopter correction" , but I'm pretty sure this relates to calibrating for variations in eyes, and n ot to adjusting where the actual plane of focus is. Thanks for your help in adv ance. Andre