Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shen Hao FCL810-a Comments

Shen Hao FCL810-a Comments

A couple of weeks ago I ordered one of these from Badger but unfortunately they are out of stock so I am having to wait. I thought while I'm waiting for Badger to get these back in stock I would see how current FCL810-a owners are liking there cameras. I found a few threads on the board with good comments about the camera but the comments were from new owners. A few questions I have....Does the quality of construction seem good enough to hold up over the long haul and Is the camera fairly easy to setup? Thanks for any comments

Re: Shen Hao FCL810-a Comments

Hello,

While I don't have the 8x10, I have a Shen-Hao 5x7 and it's built very well. It has been in the field, packed as carry-on luggage, etc. and has held up just fine. I think they are an excellent value for what you get.

Rick

The only setup issue is how the front standard is set for different focal lengths. If you look at the pictures you'll see that the front standard can be mounted in different bed holes. For very short lenses [and the camera can focus VERY short lenses] you would put the standard at one of the back holes. For long lenses one of the holes at the end. More normal lenses in between.

Will it hold up? Ask me in 20 years after I've dropped it a few times Right now I can't see it not lasting.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by A Charles View Post
    A couple of weeks ago I ordered one of these from Badger but unfortunately they are out of stock so I am having to wait. I thought while I'm waiting for Badger to get these back in stock I would see how current FCL810-a owners are liking there cameras. I found a few threads on the board with good comments about the camera but the comments were from new owners. A few questions I have....Does the quality of construction seem good enough to hold up over the long haul and Is the camera fairly easy to setup? Thanks for any comments
    I can't speak for the FCL810 but I have the HZX410-IIA that I've owned for a month now. I like it a lot. I had a Wista 8x10, Canham 5x7 wood, and Wista RF. The Shen-Hao is well built. I had some fairly poor field results recently on my first couple of trips so I did a test an hour ago using a Sinar 210mm macro at around 1:1.4 focusing on my laptop screen. Lots of pixels to focus on. Made all the adjustments necessary which took a good 20 minutes. I just processed the film and it's clean. The image has all the detail I could hope for. Sharp focus corner to corner. I wanted to test the camera/lens combination to verify image integrity and it passed with flying colors.

I take care of my gear and this camera should last a lot longer then I will. I've only set it up (from closed position) once so I can't really give you much there. I shoot from the cargo door of my Westfalia when I'm in the field.

Worth the wait in my opinion though it was an agonizing month waiting for mine.

Joe

Scott Davis

I've had one of the HZX45-AII models for about eight years now. It is still going strong, with no headaches or issues with build quality. Worst thing to happen to it was it lost a screw, which Badger easily replaced for me at no cost. The lost screw was entirely my fault for not paying attention to it coming loose over time. Even with the screw missing, it continued to function until I replaced the screw.

Confidently Agnostic!

Maybe this isn't useful, but I'm extremely happy with my HZX45-AII as well. Built well, sets up quickly, etc. The 8x10 looks like a copy of the quite well respected Phillips design, and while I can't comment on it, in general I'm pleased with the quality of construction coming out of the ShenHao factory. I've been using my 4x5 for about a year and it just keeps growing on me.

Thanks for the comments. I think the Shen Hao will meet up to my expectations. I did a lot of research before I ordered the camera. I did consider other cameras but from a price and feature standpoint it looks like the FCL810-a offers the most bang for the buck. From what I have read its fairly light weight, rigid, and has all the movements that most landscape photographers will ever need. I would have strongly considered the Chamonix 8x10 but it will not be available until sometime next year and the price is a good deal more at around $2600. I think I made a good choice.

I really like mine. Two complaints...the one I purchased did not have bubbles on it....Badger is supposedly getting them to me...mine has no handle...another issue...thirdly, the focusing gear is not as nice as my phillips...it can slip and I have to carry a hex wrench to tighten on occassion. Otherwise it operates like a phillips, but with a better front standard tilt (both base and axis) with a ebony like device which allows you to lock in rise/fall and then antoher knob to tilt (very nice). Seems to hold well....I might have recieved an 'earlier' version from Badger...so, perhaps they have corrected some of these issues...while I like Badger, I do feel I got slightly shafted...

Scott, how long have you owned yours? Thats strange that it did not have a handle. You might try to contact Shen Hao (Zhang Fuming) directly and see what he has to say about the missing handle. Here is his email address. zhangfmli@vip.sina.com ....He might send you the handle and hardware free of charge. It should be fairly easy to install.

I've been using a Sinar p2 in studio and refuse to try to take it out in the field due to weight. Too much frustration. I wanted to keep my sinar lens boards so I could still use the p2 in studio and have a lightweight 8x10 for outdoors as well. I settled on the FCL810-a and have been very happy with it. Easy movements and well built.

Nick_3536, I need to go back and look at the camera. I never noticed you could move the standard to different holes! It took me forever to figure out how to focus the 210 Sironar. I just loosen the lens tilt knobs and the standard rails and move it back until it's in focus. It doesn't seem to sturdy to do it this way, but it hasn't fallen yet. (knock, knock.)

I do miss the precision of the p2 in the field, but I like not having to take ibuprofen at night from lugging it around.