Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael A. Smith in color

Re: Michael A. Smith in color

I thought the work was very interesting and well-executed. There's no cliche or pretense in the portraits and the photographs let the subject 'do the talking'. Michael could easily have over-produced or editorialized the portraits. The technique gets out of the way which I think is essential to this type of work.

I found myself really looking at the tattoos, scars and expressions and it got me thinking about what these people have done/been through. There's a primitive look in their eyes. There's anger, tension, pride and lots of other attributes that really give the photos some power. I really think it's excellent work. My 3 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    You again seem to be missing that what I've said, whether you think it a grand proclamation or otherwise, has bee an expression of my opinion and openly so. If I feel pricing to be ridiculous based on the fact that I don't see in the work something that seems (to me) like it should be pretty clear given the price, I'll say so. There is no ruse to speak of. You are free to disagree with me.
    You don't get it, do you? You are not allowed in this forum by the art resident experts to have an opinon, you are not allowed to say "I don't like it" or "I don't find any artistic value on this work." The moment you do, you are labeled as dismissive.

The funny thing is that Smith himself has very strong opinions about work that is not his. Not long ago he wrote that ink jet prints are worth $20 at the most, he always called pt/pd prints dull and lifeless. Smith was very dismissive of the book Michael Pry made, yet as far as content goes I find Michael Pry's book and it's portraits far better than the jail shots.

Some people like the work, some don't, big deal! It should not be an offense on this forum to say so either way. Unless you want to spend 3 pages of posts defending your right to post your opinon, you should just give up and move on. This thread is a great example, you have already 7 post trying to defend your opinon. O f course, if you agree with them, then it's all good...

Yeah.....I'm about done with this thread. I've said my piece, and if people don't agree with me that's fine - I'm just getting tired of reiterating the same point again and again.

Eric Biggerstaff

Well stated Jorge.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Abuser of God's Sunlight

it's you who don't get it, jorge. i've never once jumped on someone because i disagreed with their opinion. i only find fault with people expressing opinion as fact.

and sometimes i challenge people when they express negative opinions about work they've never really looked at.

if you actually read the thread, you'll notice i haven't once suggested that anyone SHOULD like the work in question, nor have i even suggested whether or not i like it.

Well. it ain't exactly "In The American West" insight. More like full-body mug shots.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by David R Munson View Post
    I'm just getting tired of reiterating the same point again and again.
    Yep, that is usually where you end up, on an endless circle jerk....You are smarter than me though, you realized it a lot sooner than me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Well. it ain't exactly "In The American West" insight. More like full-body mug shots.
    LOL...that was my first thought... I thought the guy taking the mug shots forgot to zoom..

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Avedon's portraits of convicts were the first thing I thought of when I saw these pictures. I liked those, as well.

There are quite a few books with prisoners as portrait subjects... Ron Levine did an in depth series about 10 years ago that resulted in the book 'Prisoners of Age'. There was also a documentary film about Levine's project... as I recall he shoots 4x5. His book also included writing about and by the prisoners.