Thread: Question for Howtek 4500 Scanmaster users...

Question for Howtek 4500 Scanmaster users...

Can you guys tell me what you're using for software for this paticular scanner? I know Aztek has a package out but I think it's geared for a PC based machine.

Silverfast also has a couple of packages available that will work on this scanner...

Any recommendations or suggestions as to what package to go with?

It'll be used on a Mac G5 platform...

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Re: Question for Howtek 4500 Scanmaster users...

If you are intent on staying with the Mac, I don't believe you have any other choice. Trident may still be out there somewhere through ColorByte, but may not be OSX operable.
    Silverfast is fine, after some slightly confusing setup, I use it with the 4500.
    Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the note... I just picked up some of the ancillary materials that came with the scanner. The software package that comes with it is Silverfast SE 6. There's also a pile of other disks and a huge Trident Training Manual. Hopefully, I'll have the scanner on-hand early next week.

I'm sure the learning curve for the proper use of this marvelous piece of equipment will be pretty steep. And, as a non-computer oriented person, it seems like a huge challenge to get the thing up and running.

I'd prefer to stay with a Mac since I have access to one that I can dedicate to the scanner. However, if I have to change to a PC in order to make it work... I can go that route too. It's a matter of which platform is more efficient and the easiest to set-up.

What challenges did you have with the Silverfast? And, is it the same version?

Did you set up the scanner yourself? Or, did you have someone from Howtek/Aztek do it for you?

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Not sure what SE means, I believe mine is Silverfast Ai 6.

My scanner arrived in good working condition, there was no "set up" other than some locking screw(s) to undo. That info was in the Howtek manual.
    The Silverfast confusions come from their very cryptic settings, particularly in the color management section. I found some setup guides written by Andrew Rodney somewhere on the luminous-landscape.com site that walks you through it pretty well.
    It was a few years back, you'll have to search for it.
    I'd highly recommend joining the yahoo high end scan group, and search all the messages here regarding Howteks to get as much info as possible.
    Aztek is for those who qualify for Bush tax cuts.
    Good luck, ask questions,
    Tyler

Actually it was Ian Lyons, not Andrew Rodney, thatwrote up the Silverfast stuff. You'll find it here-
    http://welcome.to/computerdarkroom
    Theres a scroll box that will take you to Silverfast tutorials. Quite old, but worth a look, and the CM settings are still the same.
    Tyler

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the link... and the yahoo forum as well.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!