Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting it on the airlines

LJ Segil

Getting it on the airlines

I am contemplating a purchase of a Photobackpacker system for my Master Technika, far too many lenses, film holders and backs, and other gear. Because I am a bit (lot!) of a gearhound, I was planning to purchase their largest backpack to carry the gear I already have as well as what I may accumulate in the future. However, when I check the airline regs, it looks like the Kelty 3100 that PBP offers is definitely over the usual size limits, and even the two smaller Kelty packs exceed the 45" total dimension limit that most airlines use (I have not been able to find dimensions for the Granite packs listed for sale on the PBP website, but they are almost certainly even larger than the Kelty). Am I overestimating the size pack I will need for a Technika, six-eight lenses (only the 72XL is particularly large), the usual film carriers and backs (I would like to be able to carry the Da Yi 6x17 film back when I travel), and other assorted necessities (like maybe even a light meter)? I do plan to talk to the people at Photobackpacker if I can ever get some time during the week to get their guidance. Do airlines treat backpack dimensions differently when they assess them as carry on luggage? Does anyone have any experience trying to get large backpacks with their gear onto planes? How about checking LF gear? Perhaps it is not quite as obviously valuable as the 35mm gear the TSA employees are used to stealing out of checked luggage (yes, it happened to me)?
    Anyway, I would certainly appreciate hearing of others' traveling experiences, their solutions, and I suppose failures, before I commit to a new system that may not be able to work for my needs.
    Thanks,
    LJS

Re: Getting it on the airlines

Hello LJ, I highly recomend the Kelty 3100 pack, with a Technika and 6 lenses. Those multi lens protection containers they offer and containers for the camera will both provid excellent protection and organization. I recently went to Taiwan with my Kelty 3100 with 8x10 system, no problems with airport security, just let it go through the scanner. The kelty 3100 should also be big enough that you could get a second container thing for you film holders, plus the additional storage on that thing is unbelievable. Just my 2 cents but I'm waiting on the ULF pack they promised to produce.

I have a Lowepro Nature Trekker that I have never had a problem with filling and getting it onboard. I typically attach the tripod and then put it in the overhead bin seperately. Keep in mind that a tripod head should be packed seperately- my experience is that the head on the tripod is viewed as a weapon and raises alarms. Hope this helps

The DaYi back and viewer are quite bulky. If I travel with my Tech V kit, I usually bring six lenses with me, but if I have the DaYi back, maybe only three or four, and the 6x17 back takes the place of the widest lenses. Usually, though, if I'm short on space and not particularly planning to make lots of panos, I bring an extra wide lens instead of the 6x17 back and plan to crop.

The Tech V lives for the most part a Crumpler Fux Deluxe bag (the largest size, which is now called something else). When I travel, the film and bag with lenses, and my laptop go on board. I check my empty Grafmatics, light meter, and tripod. I also have a small case for things like cams, cable releases, and small tools that seem to catch the airline inspectors' attention, and I put that in my checked luggage, but I leave one cam in the camera, in case my tripod doesn't arrive with me and I might need to shoot handheld for a day (it's happened). I put my carry on bag through the X-ray with film, and usually am not stopped for further inspection. I'm more worried about inspectors opening my film than I am about X-rays.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 30-Sep-2007 at 15:44.

Getting on a plane with a huge pack is risky. If you get past the counter with it and it won't fit in the overhead compartment, your fuct and have to check it which would result in broken gear for sure. If they don't let you carry it on then you have to go home and re-pack or check it.
    I check all of my LF gear in a pelican case that holds my backpack. I highly recommend one. amazon sells them the cheapest. I've made about a dozen round trips with stops in between back to michigan in the last couple years with no problems.

Vinny - I've been thinking along these lines as well. So far have carried minimum gear on-board (camera w/3 lenses, a few holders, meter). Which Pelican/backback combination do you use?

You may wish to look at the Osprey Sojourner. It's very well built and is a carry-on with telescoping handle and a hidden, complete backpacking shoulder harness that comes out from behind a panel. I found the harness, etc., to be very comfortable. Construction, quality of wheels, etc., seems very good. This unit is carry-on size and was available this summer at REI--the time I purchased.

I took it to View Camera Conf 07 in Louisville where PBP gear was displayed and bought a series of cases--camera, two lenses, exposure meter--for protecting the gear. And there's still lots of room.

LJ Segil

Thanks for all the suggestions--now for more questions:
    PBrooks--Does the 3100 Kelty fit in the overhead bin? Fully loaded? Any problem with it being well over the 45" size limit?
    Vinny--I take it you have not had problems with theft from your checked gear in the Pelican case? Again, as is Renato, I'm curious as to the size of your pack and case and how much gear you are transporting?
    Peter--How much gear can the Sojourner hold? Any problems fitting in the overhead bins?
    Repeat question for any and all: These backpacks all seem as though they would exceed the 45" limit. Have any of you ever been stopped and had to check your packs? If so, did you have any damage or theft? I get the impression the Photobackpacer stuff would protect the gear pretty well, and that it might take some pretty extreme baggage trauma to hurt the gear. Anybody who has the PBP stuff that can confirm or deny this impression of mine?
    Thanks to all,
    LJS

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions--now for more questions:

Peter--How much gear can the Sojourner hold? Any problems fitting in the overhead bins?

Repeat question for any and all: These backpacks all seem as though they would exceed the 45" limit. Have any of you ever been stopped and had to check your pack?

Anybody who has the PBP stuff that can confirm or deny this impression of mine?
    Thanks to all,
    LJS
    Answers:
    You need to check out the Sojourner yourself. Go online for some dimensions--I recall 22 liter capacity. No way anyone can tell you "how much gear xxx can hold."

Sojourner is explicitly advertised as carry-on compliant.

Have not flown since purchase. Can't refer to ease/difficulty.

PBP rep at the View Camera Conference referred to a customer whose car was rear-ended and totalled, trunk with PBP gear pushed into rear seat. No damage to equipment. Check with PBP people for other war stories if you wish.

In August I flew Newark/Barcelona and return with PBP lens & camera cases in their modified Kelty 2650. Fit into the overhead easily and no one at either airport said a word; of course I passed the pack (with film) through the scanners at both ends. Tripod was packed separatelty in checked luggage. Of course its dangerous to generalize from one person's experience, and the 2650 is slightly smaller than the 3100, but my experience is one data point.