Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Important Thing you Learned?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Most Important Thing you Learned?

It has been approximately exactly one year now since I first took my first picture with my 4x5 view camera. Thankfully, I think I have improved somewhat since then. One of the most important things I have learned is that I do not need to stop down to f32 for every picture. That has helped tremendously. At first I was just all about detail detail detail but now I realize that f32 isn't necessarily helping. Diffraction. And there is the fun of low DOF and movements but I have just started touching those more now.
    My second most important thing I learned is to always check that your lens is closed and ready before taking the picture.
    What about you?

Re: Most Important Thing you Learned?

Early on, a professional photographer told me that just because something was interesting or beautiful didn't mean that it would make a good picture. That forced me to think about what makes a good photograph and to see things differently.

Show up early.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Stop chasing the magic bullet: use whatever gear you have and just make some photos.

Actually I've found a few magic bullets, so keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Stop chasing the magic bullet: use whatever gear you have and just make some photos.

Bingo, Tony. That is the most important thing I have learned. Here are a few more.

Keep notes.
    I have learned immeasurably from looking at my notes before and after developing the negative. You can learn from what you observed in terms of light, contrast, etc.

Keep track.
    Far too many times, I have forgot to turn around the dark slide and wasted film. I have got too excited at a particular moment and re-used holders I just put in the "exposed" bunch in my backpack. Maybe most of you have more presence of mind than I do - I confess to a bit of ADD - but I really really have to be meticulous in my methods in order to stay organized and focused.

Also, if a sheet is exposed but not developed yet, and you need that filmholder, make sure you keep track of what you put in boxes to keep in the fridge. Once you lose track, there is of course no way of figuring out what the hell is what.

Don't chase the light
    Most of the time, you cannot respond to rapidly-changing light conditions. It isn't like smaller formats. You can't observe some unique yet passing phenomenon and leap from the car to capture it. At least, I sure can't. I know Ansel Adams did. Good for him. When I can do that, I will let you know. But as someone else said, you can get there early and anticipate the light.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    how's that new Chamonix 4x5 and 240mm Germinar working out?

Nearly every scene looks spectacular on the groundglass. Only a few look equally spectacular on film.

Quote Originally Posted by bdeacon View Post
    Nearly every scene looks spectacular on the groundglass. Only a few look equally spectacular on film.
    And only a few of these make spectacular prints.

Bruce Watson

Work hard.

You didn't ask but I'll volunteer - the effects of diffraction aren't noticeable at f32 with 4x5 film unless you're making gigantic prints. I don't mean to suggest that photographing everything at f32 as a matter of course was a good idea, it wasn't, but not because of diffraction.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.