Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velostigmat Ser II and some questions

Velostigmat Ser II and some questions

Hello,

I am lusting for some time after a "classic portrait" lens that my Tachi 4x5 would be able to handle. The are two Velostigmats Series II in the outer space, one is 240 mm and the second 210. Both are f.4.5 . The 240 comes in Alphax #4 shutter and with the dial-in soft focus. The other one are jsut lens cells (no barrel) of 210mm which sould also directly screw in Aphax #4. My preference would probably go for the 210, but it would come without a shutter.

Now my questions - would the Tachi handle the 240 one? If not - how much would a shutter (the metioned Aphax #4 or other) that would allow a direct fit for the 210mm Velostigmat cost?

thanks
    Matus

Re: Velostigmat Ser II and some questions

I have a 9-1/2 VII with a Betax 4 shutter on a Wista board. The shutter extends beyond the edges of the lensboard just a little. That might be a problem depending if it clears the sliding locks, but I'd say yes with the qualification of Betax vs. Alphax outer dimension.
    If you're asking about weight, that may differ from my metal Wista camera to the wooden Tachi. Also you will probably be at the maximum bellows with the longer lens.

Thanks. I am avare of the bellows problem - that's also why I would probably prefere the 210 version. I find it also more suitable for general use.

Also - more practical question - how much might such a lens cost (the one with shutter) ?
    Matus

Search fleabay for completed auctions, prices range from $50 (steal) to over $200. It depends on the phases of the moon I think.

Bad news is the 210 does not go directly into any of the shutters without adapters. It usually gets found in an Ilex 4 with adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Bad news is the 210 does not go directly into any of the shutters without adapters. It usually gets found in an Ilex 4 with adapters.
    I just bought an 8 1/4 velostigmat series 11 in a Betax 4. I don't have it yet. I dont suppose the Alphax 4 is the same size as the Betax 4.
    Regards
    Bill

Actually, I have also bought a barrel 9 1/2 inch soft focus velostigmat II. From the camera eccentric literature I am hoping that the lens will drop into a Betax 4 as well. I tried to read table 5 of the 1919 catalogue to compare shutter sizes but it is hard to read. We will see.
    Regrds
    Bill

Go for the 240. I have one and the dial-in softness is a great asset in my figure work.

thanks to all your answers.

So - should the 210 (or 8 1/4) fit in Betax#4 for or not? Actually - how large/heavy it such a shutter?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Go for the 240. I have one and the dial-in softness is a great asset in my figure work.
    It is tempting but starting price is $360 ...
    Matus

I hope Jim Galli replies and clarifies his reply, but as I say the lens was marketed as fitting a Betax 4 and mine seems original. But an alphax 4 is not the same.
    I also wonder if the specs for all the lenses marked velostigmat ll over all the years were necessarily the same size for size.
    Wouldn't be nice if we generated a list of lens that fit whichever shutters.
    Regards
    Bill