Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn price increases!

Re: Damn price increases!

Frankly, where price is concerned, if it's worth having, it's worth paying for to have it right. I'm about as bad a bottom-feeder as there comes, but I don't quarrel over the price of the things I cannot live without. I don't go through nearly as much film as some of youse, of course, but it matters little. I'd rather pay a proper price and help support the company (and workers!) who deserve a proper price for product and labor, rather than bitch about a warranted increase before diving for the bottom looking for cheap thrills.

Besides, if the 4x5 is too rich fer ya, there's always 35mm.

Just kidding.

Money is tight all around, and getting tighter in the good ole' US of A... I know, I know.

Best,
    C.
    Last edited by Tom Westbrook; 18-Sep-2007 at 03:38.

I agree with the others. Higher prices are just going to be a fact of life. I don't see what the consternation of Ilford's pricing is about. Their film at the moment is a few dollars cheaper than Kodak. If you want to keep using tradtional materials, you can certainly expect to keep paying more in the future.

remember guys i was only telling a tale of my already thin wallet being squeezed! you are right....i will buy what i need to survive....food, beer, and film.

it just kind of sucked to have the increase happen overnight! if i only knew.....atleast the fuel prices are dropping for now (2.77/gal of the cheap stuff here). i was just passing on my frustration on about a 30% increase.....$60 to $82! thats big! imagine of TMAX went from $150 to $200? i bet everyone would cry about that.

thanks for the vent......i should have bought more in aug! aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhh!

on the lighter side i have been banging away on my 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 so much that i had to re order the two small sizes in just a month

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I was talking to a friend about this a couple of weeks ago. Here in the US, the price of formerly cheap Eastern European films has risen to almost the price of Kodak at B&H. I may be buying yellow boxes again.
    juan

Although the U.S. dollar is not, "going down the tubes," as some have misstated, it is declining in relative terms. This is due in part to a deliberate plan to encourage exports and help address the trade imbalance. A strong currency is not necessarily a good thing. Canada is suffering because its export-driven economy is being hurt by its rising dollar. In addition, the price of silver has increased due to demand from the fastest growing economies. Ilford is pricey, but my hope is that it will put its profits into continuous quality and manufacturing improvements, not just production of digital imaging media.

I went into a local camera shop to get the "direct to dealer" prices of film, and I gotta say you lot have it easy.

The UK prices are phenomenal. Be grateful you aren't on a tiny island

Phenomenal or abominable Ash?

Here in the UK Polaroid 55 costs $40 more than in the states per box of 20 sheets, that can start adding up!

Use the film you enjoy using and working with. Even shooting 8x10 the difference in the cost per sheet of film isn't prohibitive (though multipling the difference by 25 or 50 sheets does make me take a deep breath!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

The fact prices are rising is a harsh reality of life, Joe Blow isn't helping us out anymore by buying tonnes of 35mm film.

I don't trust Kodak anymore, the all important shareholders could drop traditional photography products in a heart-beat. Digital will give them a better return.

I applaud the fact that Ilford got back on the horse and I hope that they charge enough for traditional materials to keep their business going. For those of us who care enough and want traditional materials enough, we'll have to pay the price.

If we go the way of the free-market and choose to stop buying Ilford because of price then they will fail, Kodak will likely cease production as well and we'll all be left shooting digital or coating our own glass plates ... it's your choice.