Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of Photography?

The Future of Photography?

Recently I received a Calumet flyer in the mail, the flyer featured several sharp, perfectly exposed images by the landscape photographer Elizabeth Carmel. When asked about her technique she replied, "I will do multiple exposures for both aperture and shutter speed so I can combine exposures for maximum depth of field and dynamic range." WOW! So she could take her camera, a digital Hasselblad, photograph the foreground by focusing on the foreground with overexposure, then focus on the middle ground adjusting exposure again then focus on the sky and underexpose; that's potentially unlimited depth of field at the lens' best aperture, a great overall exposure and with a lower aperture you can now use a faster shutter speed (for those leaves moving in a breeze). A large format photographer could also slightly modify the movements used for each "exposure". That tricky high branch in the foregound not a tilt problem anymore! WOW! I assume there are limitations like the amount of memory in your computer, as several scanned large format images would slow down most computers. I also assume the best scene would have to have little movement so that the photographer has a chance to do these multiple "exposures" so that they can be seamlessly merged together later.

My head is spinning thinking of the possibilities. What do forum members think of this technique? Have any forum members tried it with large format film?

Re: The Future of Photography?

I'm more of a one-shot makes all type of guy, but this does sound pretty interesting. Got any samples of this to show?

Limitations? Sure, how about the number of hours you spend in post processing. This is fine for an enthusiast, but a complete disaster for a professional. It really is just another technique, and not an answer for all imaging.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

The future of photography, or the end of photography as we know it? I'm with Sam, I prefer to be "one with the light", rather than, say, "twelve with the light". There are many approaches to making beautiful images, and this approach is no less valid than a single capture approach, but is it photography?

3d Visual Effects artist

well, it's certainly not a one click process. it takes alot of work, and if you don't do it right, it doesn't look good.

I do the exposure blending (two or three exposures, masked together) when I'm shooting black or dark cars when shooting into the sunset. I like this look better than using strobes or reflectors

Whatever floats her boat, but it doesn't mean the technique is correct for anyone else's photographic vision.

More tools in the photographic tool bag.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

It is similar to techniques I use for architectural interiors, tone blending, which allows you in a mixed lighting situation to do different exposures for different light sources and blend them in PS to achieve an overall consistent look.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The future of photography seems to be tightly tied to manipulation. I guess that is life. Not surprising really when you think about it - there are now photographers working who have never used film or known life without a computer.

Robert,

My son, 31, has never owned a land line phone.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Robert,

My son, 31, has never owned a land line phone.
    I'm reminded of the younger generation every morning on the city bus, on the way to work. Amazing to those of us who are a few years older.