Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Telephoto lenses for 4x5 Technika

LJ Segil

Telephoto lenses for 4x5 Technika

I am getting dangerously tempted by the reach that I might be able to achieve shooting a 600mm telephoto lens with my new (part of why I am dangerous) 4x5 Master Technika. It appears to me that I have more than just adequate bellows draw for either the Nikkor or Fuji 600T lenses, and with an extension board could probably even focus to a reasonable distance short of infinity and still have minimal movements, at least rear. I am mostly thinking of these lenses for landscapes/nature. However, both these lenses, particularly the Nikkor (although I cannot find an exact weight) are quite heavy; are they perhaps too heavy for the camera at full extension, or for my back with a pack? I imagine they have other drawbacks of which I am as yet unaware? I don't have nearly the draw for a non-telephoto lens of such focal length although the Fuji 600C certainly sounds ideal. I am very curious to hear of anyones' evaluations of these lenses, their image quality and handling, how well suited they might be for my tasks and camera, are there better alternatives, or will I be disappointed by their performance/crushed by their weight and just forget the whole idea and save my money for my next hare-brained scheme?
    Any and all help, accumulated wisdom and experience, and kindness will be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    LJ
    And if anybody is looking to sell a Fuji Compact 450mm lens, please let me know--it appears that none of the dealers have any in stock.

Re: Telephoto lenses for 4x5 Technika

Nikkor makes a number of telephoto lenses, both for 4x5 and 8x10. For 4x5 they have a 270mm and a set of lenses with interchangable backs for 360mm, 500mm and 720mm. For 8x10 they have a physically much larger set of lenses with interchangable backs for 600mm, 800mm and 1200mm. I have them all and they are fine lenses. For 4x5 only, I recommend the 360-500-720 set. They are reasonably light, have good performance and the flexibility of having only one shutter and front element for three different lengths is a plus. The difficulty is finding them. Typically, the 360 is sold complete and the 500 and 720 rear lenses are sold separately but YMMV.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_B View Post
    Nikkor makes a number of telephoto lenses, both for 4x5 and 8x10. For 4x5 they have a 270mm and a set of lenses with interchangable backs for 360mm, 500mm and 720mm. For 8x10 they have a physically much larger set of lenses with interchangable backs for 600mm, 800mm and 1200mm. I have them all and they are fine lenses. For 4x5 only, I recommend the 360-500-720 set. They are reasonably light, have good performance and the flexibility of having only one shutter and front element for three different lengths is a plus. The difficulty is finding them. Typically, the 360 is sold complete and the 500 and 720 rear lenses are sold separately but YMMV.
    Good luck,
    Dave B.
    Correction: Nikkor made a number of telephoto lenses, not "makes". They are currently out of the LF lens business.

LJ Segil

On the other hand, if I can find them, I like the spacing, versatility, and longer reach of a 300, 450, and 600mm set versus the 300 (already have this), 360, and 500mm set that I can achieve with the Nikkor lenses (although the exchangable rear element does sound good). I don't know that I could manage the 470mm draw needed for the 720mm lens back on the Technika, even with an extension board, and that brings back the question of a 600mm lens instead.
    Such problems.
    LJ

A buddy tried the 600-T on his Tech V, and the bellows were pulled taut, which is definitely not good for them. He could just barely focus at infinity. You also have to rack the camera out to it's limits (using both front extension, and by extending the back).

I have the Nikkor 500mm, and it fits quite nicely on my Master Tech. I have not tried the 600-T, so I can't tell you if you have more focusing latitude than you have on the Tech V.

To safely use this lens you would need the Extension Lensboard set from Wista for the Linhof Technika.

I use a Fuji 400T on my Technika IV, which I think has the same bellows draw as yours. This puts the lens at the full reach of the rack on forward extension, but not cranked out beyond that, except for focusing closer than infinity. Ken's experience may be different, but I found keeping the rig steady enough to get sharp pictures is very hard with a 400, and would only be worse with the 500. But I shoot in the field and conditions are not always ideal. No wind and solid ground for the tripod and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    I use a Fuji 400T on my Technika IV, which I think has the same bellows draw as yours. This puts the lens at the full reach of the rack on forward extension, but not cranked out beyond that, except for focusing closer than infinity. Ken's experience may be different, but I found keeping the rig steady enough to get sharp pictures is very hard with a 400, and would only be worse with the 500. But I shoot in the field and conditions are not always ideal. No wind and solid ground for the tripod and it should be fine.
    I've never had a problem with the 400-T, nor with the Nikon 500-T. However, I do have a pretty solid tripod - Gitzo 3540XLS - so I have a very solid platform to work on. Just this weekend, I made a 3 minute exposure with the 500-T, and the image was absolutely tack-sharp. When shooting with shorter focal length lenses, I tend to use the tripod hold on the bottom of the back; when I move to the 500, I use the hole on the bottom of the bed, which centers the camera (more or less) over the tripod head. That definitely makes a difference.

Most definitely, wind would be an issue, especially with a longer exposure. However, for my 3 minute shot from this past weekend, there was no wind, so I had no real issues. Other than having a moment of fear an hour later and 25 miles away that I botched the exposure Thankfully, I did have it correct.

I've used the 500T with my Technikardan in Ireland where the wind is pretty much in constant flux. And I can assure you that you must make extraordinary effort to keep the tripod AND the camera completely still during your inevitable 2-3 minute exposure.
    I used two things:

• Large Umbrella protecting the camera
    • Weighted tripod with mesh bag and rocks

I wish I had also done:

• Weighted camera with a slab of heavy slate on top of everything!

Anyway, the 500T is such a great lens. I think you'll find it plenty long when used with large format.

LJ Segil

You all are making the Fuji 600T (flange-back distance 384mm) and the Nikkor 600T (410mm) sound pretty untenable for use on a Technika, extension board or no. I don't even know the weight of the Nikkor, but I found a weight for the Fuji of an even kilo. The whole thing just doesn't sound too stable or user friendly to me now. Oh well, maybe I can actually save a little cash for a change (or until the next dumb idea comes along).
    Thanks,
    LJS