Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting out of a creative slump

peripheral photon hog Nicolai Morrisson's Avatar

Re: Getting out of a creative slump

I like to go out and set some arbitrary and restrictive rules for the session to try to force myself to see things differently. My current theory is that if I'm not shooting, it's because I'm not seeing things well, because if I was, I'd want to shoot whatever it I was looking at. I also find it helps to simplify, so I'll take one hand-holdable camera with one (prime) lens and do something like 12 shots within 100 feet of here, camera no higher than 3 feet off the ground, focus no farther (or closer) than 8 feet. A few weeks ago I got stuck and shot a roll of 120, each frame having a tree dead-center. Sometimes I do a few rolls in an outing and change the rules for each one. I find the more restrictive, the better.

The results aren't always show-stoppers, but they're usually not horrible, and can help get the wheels turning again. At the very worst, it usually reminds me that I like the experience of shooting and makes me want to do it more, even if the results aren't up to par that time. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I take a very pragmatic approach when I am stuck.

Usually, I change equipment. If I have been using my Mamiya 7II for example, and am very anal about focusing, composing, metering, etc. - because "each frame costs $1" (what I am thinking), I turn around and pick up my Holga instead.

Whatever you are doing too much of- too rigid, precise, etc., try the opposite.

Then, I go out and make photographs for a few hours without worrying about it. Just get into the rythym.

When I get home, I review, and try to find 1 or 2 images or pieces of images or "things" that I "kind-of like." Anything that **I** respond to. It might even be a small thing - the way blue or red appears in one image, etc.

I take the images that appeal to me, and then I go try to make images based on them. Build a little at one time, no real preconceptions. Just follow a thread. The work may be totally different than what I have done before. I just enjoy the process of exploration.

Also, another very good book, a little less *squishy* than the other one mentioned (Artists Way), is "Art and Fear." Bottom line summary: just do the work!

I have been limited for the past 5-6 years by chronic pain. Very frustrating I love photography, just want o make images, but it is not really worth the pain involved. If I take a lot of pills to kill the pain, the images suck. Memory sucks, no continuity. What do you do? Just keep trying.

Good luck!!

Best,
    Michael

peripheral photon hog Nicolai Morrisson's Avatar

I enthusiastically second the ever-loving crap out of the recommendation for Art & Fear, as well as the follow-up, The View from the Studio Door. They're far and away the best $20 (combined!) I've ever spent on artmaking; I probably would have quit many times over if it weren't for them.

Yup, "Art & Fear" and "The View from the Studio Door" are huge favorites here. Toss in Twyla Tharp's "The Creative Habit: Learn It and Use It for Life."

All three books espouse that good art has a lot more to do with hard work than innate talent. A hopeful message for those of us who feel we lack genius. But they also urge hard work upon us, and have little patience for the "photograph when the spirit moves you" pretension. I agree with Messrs. Bayles and Orland, and Ms. Tharp.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

I would like to note one thing regarding the various books available regarding art, creativity, etc. If you pick one up and it rubs you the wrong way, just move on. There are a range of books like this, and they're written by and for different kinds of people, so if what you initially started with isn't interesting you, try something else. Just don't let one book of the genre turn you off from all of them. A while back I picked up a copy of "Art and Fear" and, frankly, thought it to be total crap. I don't even know what I did with my copy. Other people love it and it has a great reputation, I just didn't like it. However, I found other books on the subject that I really did enjoy.

Thank you for the opposing viewpoint on "Art and Fear" It's good to have varying opinions. Thanks again!

You can see opposite points of view at work here.

I felt "The Artist's Way" to be totally self-indulgent and, therefore, mostly useless to me. A few useful ideas, but it's more a touchy-feely self-help book than something that will actually help you. That opinion is based on actually DOING what she lays out in the book, not just an armchair reading of it. My opinion, that's all.

On the other hand, "Art and Fear" is great because it advocates hard work to overcome supposed lack of talent. I think we all, deep down, fear that we're not as talented as we'd like. I know I feel that way. "Get over it," Bayles and Orland say, "every photograph you make makes you a better photographer, so the more you make, the better you get." I find that immensely encouraging, and inspiring.

I wholeheartedly agree that if a book rubs you the wrong way, move on.
    Last edited by Bruce Barlow; 19-Sep-2007 at 12:49. Reason: Adding agreement to something previously said.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

Thanks Bruce!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael T. Murphy View Post
    I take a very pragmatic approach when I am stuck.

Usually, I change equipment.
    Good one!!!

I find the best thing for me is to go out with a single camera and one lens, and force myself to make images of anything just using that. Pretty soon I start "seeing" images that fit that view and this seems to help overcome the inertia of being in the slump. Usually I know I'm on the mend when I say to myself something like, "Dang, I wish I had chosen the 110 today instead of the 210!"

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

alanps

Actually I just let things work themselves out - there is a reason for the slump - it might just take time. For me I fell into one after a successful exhibition in London in the 90's. I honestly looked around and thought, well this is just how I imagined it would be - happiness - then zero motivation (slump) to do anything else...

I am out of the slump now, but I am different, taking different (sort of) pictures and I think (hope!) better for it.

Slumps are neccesarily negative, they may just seem that way at the time