Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who still does Ciba/Ilfochrome?

Who still does Ciba/Ilfochrome?

Who still does Ciba/Ilfochrome or whatever thaey are calling it nowdays. I'm as picky on those as I am in B&W so I need someone that I can talk to, discuss and come up with the best way to print the trans.
    Or am I left to doing it myself?

Re: Who still does Ciba/Ilfochrome?

hope you don't mind if i ask another question regarding this medium.

i have heard that cibachrome can be done by using the lambda machine. is it true?

Elevator Digital in Toronto does Ilfochrome both by projection and Lambda--

http://www.elevatordigital.ca/

As well as Lamont Imaging in New York, and Hance Partners in the midwest .

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Elevator Digital in Toronto does Ilfochrome both by projection and Lambda--

http://www.elevatordigital.ca/

Bob, do you have a phone number or website for Lamont Imaging? A quick Google search did not yield anything useful...

I am sorry I do not, in fact they do not even have a website, maybe someone from the New York area can help out.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Sen View Post
    Bob, do you have a phone number or website for Lamont Imaging? A quick Google search did not yield anything useful...

I think Hance Partners is in Flagstaff, AZ. There is an article on Cibachrome by them in the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site.

steve simmons

I can't imagine the aesthetic benefit of traditional (projected) cibachrome over the alternatives.
    Is it the freakshow colors or the blocked up shadows that are most appealing?
    Not that anyone asked me.
    I guess if 'pop' is desired and digital is bad, ciba's the choice.
    I have a strong opinion on ciba after doing extensive comparisons three or four years ago.
    I've never seen Lambda ciba. I would like to.

Don , send me a file, we do not print on a weekly basis, demand and ability to get material. right now my bleach is on a boat from switzerland.But 6week trip and I should be able to print.* this lack of concern by the parent company to the NA market if anything will create the demise of this wonderful product. There are very few labs offering this product , Hance Partners as Steve suggests seem to be running more regularly than I, They use a Lightjet unit to produce the work and on occasion have offered to bail me out with product , or have printed for some of my clients when I could not get the paper or even the full components of chemicals here in Toronto.* We are a very small group and support each others efforts*
    Printing this material on a lambda is truly an amazing difference than the days of contrast masking materials to fit on the paper.
    I will say that the fujiflex and some of the metal papers do come close in apparent look and are worthy of trying as well.
    Control of contrast and colour saturation, colour enhancement is at ones fingertips and a joy to work with.
    I wish the paper and components were less expensive and the parent company would put some dollars into marketing of this product. It really does have a beautiful colour gamut and range that other contemporay papers can just reach into but not match.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Miller View Post
    I can't imagine the aesthetic benefit of traditional (projected) cibachrome over the alternatives.
    Is it the freakshow colors or the blocked up shadows that are most appealing?
    Not that anyone asked me.
    I guess if 'pop' is desired and digital is bad, ciba's the choice.
    I have a strong opinion on ciba after doing extensive comparisons three or four years ago.
    I've never seen Lambda ciba. I would like to.

Perfect, this is a thread I was just thinking of starting myself. I'll second the recommendation for printing on FujiFlex(my experience is with Lightjets). They do look wonderful, quite close to most ciba's i've seen in person. The problem i've encountered comes in when printing vivid reds. I've never been able to get good reds in any prints on any paper types, but i've always noticed superior reds on ciba's. Is this always the case? I have some images from the southwest that have some intense reds, and if ciba is the way to go, i'd like to try some.

Adam