Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X-rayed Polaroid 55 *groan*

X-rayed Polaroid 55 *groan*

My 2 boxes of polaroid 55 just arrived from the states but although I had asked no less than 6 times, it wasn't brought in hand luggage so it's had the full attention of the regular x-ray machines in JFK outwards to the UK. I don't have a densitometer and having never used the film before have no idea what the base should look like. Is it worth doing anything but throwing it in the rubbish bin (and my £80 with it )?

Re: X-rayed Polaroid 55 *groan*

Well, have you tried any yet? Shoot a sheet at EI 25-32, clear the negative, and see how it looks. If it's badly fogged, you'll see it, and if the neg looks good, on with business as usual.

The problem is that I wouldn't know whether it's slightly fogged or not if the fogging is even across the frame. Can't say I really want to go to the bother of LF for anything but an optimal neg, effects are one thing but I really am looking for optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben R View Post
    The problem is that I wouldn't know whether it's slightly fogged or not if the fogging is even across the frame. Can't say I really want to go to the bother of LF for anything but an optimal neg, effects are one thing but I really am looking for optimal.
    really - if you run some tests and it looks fine, then nothing else matters - it's fine...
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

You're assuming I know what fine looks like...

well... it either looks fine or it doesn't (I am though presuming you have used b&w film before)?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Ben,
    Sacrifice one sheet. Run it through the holder without exposure. The negative should be clear after you have processed it as you normally would. Judge whether you should trash the film by how the negative looks.
    Cheers and good luck!
    Robert

It should be fine, it is really slow film. And even if there is a touch of fog, what is the big problem with that? You have tonal range to burn with that stuff, and half the time there is some sort of processing defect anyway (which only adds to the charm). Unless they microwaved it, you should be able to print through or around anything.

Just my two pence.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    Ben,
    Sacrifice one sheet. Run it through the holder without exposure. The negative should be clear after you have processed it as you normally would. Judge whether you should trash the film by how the negative looks.
    Cheers and good luck!
    Robert
    Do that, plus shoot one or two or three for the print and see if the prints are fogged. This can crosscheck your results with the negative. Plus its good practice before you start in earnest.

Various films have different levels of base density, naturally, without the effects of fog. It would be impossible to compare Type 55 with a conventional film, as every conventional film is slightly different. An overall low level of fog will not be very detrimental to you using the film, as others have stated, you have tonal range to spare with Type 55. Probably if it is fogged a bit, all you will have to do is make prints with a contrastier paper, or if you scan, bump up the contrast a bit.

Your choices appear to be: Use it or trash it. I know what I would do. I would use it, unless it was just awful. I would be more concerned with the developer pods being dried out, if this is older film.