Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Film Loading Problems

Re: Film Loading Problems

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    Update: Ilford FP4 Film fits fine. I think the Kodak Vericolor Film is slightly larger... Should get back pics today or tomorrow from the lab - I'll see how it fared.

--A
    More than likely, the Vericolor is a bit thicker than FP4, thus making it more difficult to fit under the retaining slots on each edge. I have found that with age, sometimes film holders can build up debris under the long slots, and the film will not slide in easily. You can take a business card or wasted sheet of film, and run this thru the slots to clean them out. If your film buckles out, then it can catch on the darkslide and at the least become scratched when you replace the darkslide, and worst-case the dark slide will actually push the film out and you will have wasted a sheet.

Thanks, Gene, I'll check that out. But isn't the film end supposed to drop in versus being slotted in? I understand that there is a slot, but in past experience the film had some wiggle room from left to right and didn't necessarily sit in the slot unless I held it under....

Picked up the Kodak Vericolor III film. The fact that the edge had a curl is barely noticeable....in some cases it's not noticeable at all. Color isn't bad for film that expired in 1999, but it's been kept frozen since then.

I'm still thinking about modifying a holder. And yes, I'll bring a sheet of the film and a holder to this weekend's excursion for those present to witness.

Cheers!
    --A

In cut-film holders the film slides UNDER rails top and bottom, as you slide the film in. The film should slide in until it is fully inserted and the end of the film clears the end of the holder by about 1/4 inch, allowing you to fold the flap down over it. If you are not sliding the film in under the rails, then you are not loading the holders correctly.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

And just checked now: Lisco holder reads "5x7" and film reads "5x7 / 12.7mm x 17.8mm" so it's clearly not 13 x 18. And if Kodak was to be off a bit I'd think they'd make it shorter not longer!!!

The nominal size of 13x18cm film is 127mmx178cm, which unfortunately happens to be the same as 5" by 7"

This goes all the way back to plate holders and film adapters, and is an eternal source of irritation. To make things worse I have Ilford 18x24cm film which won't fit in a 13x18cm film adapter for plate holders, and Forte 13x18cm film which fits in 5x7" holders but drops out of 13x18cm.

Especially with 13x18cm / 5x7" I have learned that it might be worth sacrificing a sheet from each box to find out what size holder it really fits.

If you have "standard" type Lisco, Fidelity, or RiteWay film holders in 5x7 size, they should accept all 5x7 cut film from major makers like Kodak, Ilford and Fuji. It doesn't matter if it is color or black and white film.

Yup, did that:

And just checked now: Lisco holder reads "5x7" and film reads "5x7 / 12.7mm x 17.8mm" so it's clearly not 13 x 18. And if Kodak was to be off a bit I'd think they'd make it shorter not longer!!!

I'll shoot the 5 sheets I have loaded with the inward curve and see how they fare...

--A
    Hi !
    European 13x18 actual size is 128 x 178mm, at least Fomapan 100 which I'm using. 5x7 film is shorter, so it sounds as you are trying to load 13x18 film in 5x7 holder ?
    Best,
    Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    If you have "standard" type Lisco, Fidelity, or RiteWay film holders in 5x7 size, they should accept all 5x7 cut film from major makers like Kodak, Ilford and Fuji. It doesn't matter if it is color or black and white film.
    I'd quite agree, but it seems I have a case against that!

Photographic proof attached.

--A