Thread: I'm restoring "Jumbo" Any ideas?

I'm restoring "Jumbo" Any ideas?

My $9 Seal 150 Jumbo dry mount press platen cleaned up very nicely. All thats left is some stains on the platen so I'm thinking of polishing it up and maybe reducing the discoloration (without getting too obsessive about it) so which polish to use? Brasso? Dupont #7 Polish? Dupont Rubbing compound? Blue Coral? Bon Ami? I want to avoid using anything thats abrasive enough to cut into the aluminium platen.

I also need to re-felt the old pad which I stole from my other press and cut down to fit "Jumbo" Any suggestions? A new pad btw costs about 10 times more than what I paid for the press---so I'd like to recycle this one if possible.

The silver paint on the exterior has peeled off in many areas leaving bare aluminium, so I'm thinking of repainting while I'm at it. RustOleum 'Hammered Aluminium" looks like a good match, but can it withstand the heat? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: I'm restoring "Jumbo" Any ideas?

John-
    I kind of restored an old jumbo a few years back, and the only advice I can lend is to use high temp paint, which RustOleum does make (but it might be hard to find the gray color - I can't remember now where I found it).
    The only trouble with doin' nothing is you can't tell when you get caught up