Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats up with Graflex SLRs?

Whats up with Graflex SLRs?

As I contemplate yet another camera purchase, I'm wondering what are the particular charms of the 4x5 Graflex SLRs. I can see them as the state of the art press camera circa 1905, but I'm curious as to what makes them special. From user opinions, what are these cameras awesome to use for? What are these cameras a pain to use for?

I'm happy to hear any honest opinions, PMs and emails are fine.

Thanks!

Re: Whats up with Graflex SLRs?

I don't know if you could call them charming, but when you get the itch to make 4x5's in the middle of a Michigan winter, they are a handy way to make photographs without a focusing cloth and sometimes, even a tripod! Of course, the shutter speeds available are somewhat limiting at times and without movements, it's not like using a view camera. I sometimes take this camera to a local shooting spot where tripods are not permited. I wonder if it would be possible to get up to the observation deck of the Empire State building with one of these?

There was a handbook published for or by the Navy on the use of this camera in which they warn the user that this camera is not suitable for photographing carrier landings! That makes me think that someone trying such a stunt became overly distracted by what was on the ground glass and got struck by something that wasn't, but that's just a guess.

It would seem that they are excellent for large-format portraiture- see the work of Edward Weston and Paul Strand. And in the "current" category, the fashion work by Arthur Elgort.

I love them 'cause you can mount all sorts of barrel lenses on them.

They make LF portrait work a snap, as long as you don't need to use strobes.

Plus people love to see them in action. I find they bring people out of the wood work, which makes for portrait opportunities.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I think one of their main advantages for someone who doesn't plan to hand-hold is that there are a lot of them around and they don't cost much, hence an inexpensive way for someone to kind of test the large format waters without spending much money.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Brian, are you thinking of Graphic press cameras or Graflex reflexes?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Brian, are you thinking of Graphic press cameras or Graflex reflexes?

Dan - Actually I didn't have a specific type in mind, I kind of lump them all into the same general category of "LF camera with no back movements and limited other movements that were made for hand-holding and were popular for half a century or more." In other words, I don't know enough about them to distinguish among the various types or models. If there are major differences between "Graphic press" and "Graflex reflexes" then that's my mistake for not distinguishing between them.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

For people who want to use an LF camera handheld they make a lot of sense.

There are significant differences betwen models. The "B" series have fixed lenses - not desirable. The RB Auto Graflex are good for use with quite long lenses. The "D" and "Super D" versions are the most versatile. The Super D goes for more money and is worth it if you want to use the standard auto diaphragm lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Dan - Actually I didn't have a specific type in mind, I kind of lump them all into the same general category of "LF camera with no back movements and limited other movements that were made for hand-holding and were popular for half a century or more." In other words, I don't know enough about them to distinguish among the various types or models. If there are major differences between "Graphic press" and "Graflex reflexes" then that's my mistake for not distinguishing between them.
    A Graphic press camera is the one that's like a folding field camera with limited movements. Weegee used one (as well as a B&J Press)

A Graflex reflex camera is an SLR with a mirror that allows you to look directly through the lens until the moment of exposure like a big oversized RB67. Weston used a 3x4" version usually for candid portraits early in his career, and a 4x5" later.

Quick note: many people use the Super D with electronic flash.

I was never able to find out if this was designed in or just a work around someone figured out.

You drop the mirror and set the shutter on open.

This means that the mirror is the only thing blocking the light path.

Then you fire the shutter. The mirror comes up and at the end of its travel it trips the flash and releases the shutter at the the same time. The shutter then closes.

This is said to give a shutter time of about 1/25 sec.

Neal