Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aerial photography with large format

Downstairs

Re: Aerial photography with large format

Bob, The Aerial Technica would be overkill. I was thinking of putting handles on my home-made 5x7 box :
    http://web.mac.com/cjbroadbent/Site/fivebyseven.html
    But was worried about the film sagging. I suppose I should try it out leaning out of a window on dry land.

I shoot aerial for a living. I used to use MF 6x7, but now shoot Canon Digital. I have played with 612, 617 and 5x4, the 612/617 worked better than 5x4, to be honest I found 5x4 to be more hit and miss, the slower lenses and weight took the edge off. For 5x4 sheets I would use double sided tape in the holders which I had dabbed many times with a cloth until it was tacky more than sticky. Never use Readyload! I also think depending on the camera, your front standard can vibrate a lot. I've used a Linhof tecknica and a razzle from fixed wing and helicopters. Like I said you would get some pin sharp, but mostly the Pentax 6x7 with faster lenses, lighter weight and higher shutter speeds made up for the lack of film area. And yes I do use a gyro. I've never tried the dedicated aerial cameras, I have had others shoot for me with the aerial 5x4 Linhofs, when they are spot on they look fantastic, but on average the Pentax was more consistent, it held the film much better than Hasselblad or Mamiya, I never ever got weird soft spots with the Pentax, the others it was quite common. When we were all still using film, myself and most of my competitors gravitated towards the Pentax. Even now if I'm shooting for me I'll pull the Pentax 67 out of the cupboard and load it with Provia or Reala.
    I intend to give 10x8 a try one day for the hell of it, I'll rig some bungees with the gyro, but at £20. per minute airtime in a twin Squirrel it will be an expensive playtime. I think if you can have a rigid structure between standards and not a bellows it gets much easier.

Kevin.

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Noeyedear View Post
    I shoot aerial for a living.
    Kevin.
    Kevin, Thanks, that was a great post. It sorts things out.
    Last edited by cjbroadbent; 15-Jan-2009 at 05:34. Reason: typos on my ipod