Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: asking for crop suggestions

Re: asking for crop suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Janko Belaj View Post
    So, now I have a new wall for some print to hang on it. I have finished my work on one scan and now I can't decide which one to print... The first one (A) is in its (almost) original proportions. I like it, but now I'm sad that rain started and that I didn't had time to make better composition (to raise a camera just a little bit up to have a more of mountain's wall shown behind it) and better focusing (the first flowers are slightly out of focus). Well, what I have is what I can print. Scan is large, wall is large and photos are here:

Crop A: original, could be printed as 70x95cm

Crop B: cut off small bottom part of picture and little bit on right to get the ruin more out of center, can be printed as 70x100cm

Crop C: huge crop - intention to get more focus on ruin... But I lost a lot of sky which gives a (lovely?) drama... can be printed as 70x125cm

Tnx for your thoughts )
    #2 is the strongest image IMO.

Don Bryant

A. And I would lighted ever so slightly the lower right hand corner and perhaps the upper left had corner ever so slighty. A is better to me because of the lower right hand corner being ligher creates more eye movement in the image and makes it thus more interesting. I would also lighten the 'grass' in the 'middle of the image' below the house and running from left to right. Create more of a layering of tones in the image.

Crop B works for me...

Nice image(s)

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Not C for me, the sky is too important to crop it. A and B are very close but if I had to choose I'd take B, I don't see anything of great interest in the bottom half inch or so of the ground and cropping it places the viewer's attention squarely where it should be, on the three major elements of the photograph. But both are lovely photographs and I wouldn't get into an argument with anyone who prefers A.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

wow... so many answers..! Walter, yes - I'm glad I asked! :) Mostly because the "crew" here is sharing my own opinion (A and B because of sky) while "adding" some more interesting points to the shot I wasn't aware off (importance of more gray shades in grass).
    Tnx to all of you! I'm going to made few variations of A and than print some previews as A and B crop...

Chris - you gave me a lot of thinking about technical details... That was year ago and lazy as I am I didn't wrote details. Tachihara for sure, efke 100 9x12cm for sure. Developed in "(Rodinal 1 + (200 (XTol 1+3))"... cold stand development for about one hour in comby tank. But the lens...? Symmar convertible 135 or G-Claron 210... Tnx to the exif, we can compare shots :)

As I remember, after I have found spot without new houses in background I didn't move much, so 46mm (in leica) on the left, 28mm on the right, and my shot closer to 46 - I think it was Symmar 135mm. With enough DOF it is over f 1:8, and without visible defraction it isn't above f 1:16, but that is close as I can get... I would say "f 11 and half" :)
    Scanned on EverSmart Supreme at 3000 dpi giving me about 140 Mpixels... it isn't important data, but is nice to read... 140 M... :D

Id leave it as is- I find my eye playing ping-pong between the building and the lone bush on the left mnore and more as you crop in. The first has a great sky that helps to balance that effect.

Here's a variation, with deepest respect.

You need to consider the amount of light that the wall will be getting, when choosing a foto to hang on it. If the wall will get a lot of light then go with a darker print, if the wall will only get a minimum of lite go with the lighter print: An easy way to do this is put up three fotos one of each type and haqng the on top of each other ;

# 3 ON TOP , # 1 IN THE MIDDLE AND # 2 ON THE BOTTOM :
    And look over them for a few days: Just my thoughts here: Good luck and also nice foto's:
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

not an junior member Janko Belaj's Avatar

interesting approach Ken... You did crop a lot, but kept (almost) all "important" details in my shot without loosing places for eye to play in. I do like it... Will play with it later... in meantime there is now small exhibition of my daughters photos :)
    (O.T, but couldn't resist - that is she 3 years ago on her 1st assignment on one of my exhibitions :)

Lauren, ambient light in that particular room is changing depending who is in... my wife like bright light, I like dimmed, and our daughter doesn't care as long as she can play in ;)

Wheat alternated with barley.

Otherwise I'd leave it as it is. Give it room, the space is important.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"