Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: litho film

litho film

I bought some aphs premium litho by mistake, I usually use ilford ortho, as I'm into retro
    photography, and wanted to produce the effect of the old ilford ortho film, so I made a numer of test exposures using the sunny 16 rule and came up with an asa of 10, that's developing the film for 280secs at 75 degrees in 1+9 ultrafin. the lens is an old prewar voigtlander, and the exposure of 1/10 at f16.

bob

Re: litho film

Thanks for sharing Robert.

Why didn't you use an 81B/C blue filter to simulate the look of the old film then? There seems to be too much of a panchromatic response here to look ortho- orthodox.

Still looks like you could've gone for an ISO around 3-6 instead of 10. Maybe.

The film doesn't seem as fine grained as what I'm used to from ortho film (I use Ortholith). Have you tried Maco Genius film too. Thanks for the times too. I'm trying to get into Ultrafin since Rodinal/Perceptol are pretty much all I've ever used.

Rob,
    never thought of using a blue filter, will get one and try, I think my scanner does not do justice to the print, the processed image is much softer,
    I've tried Maco genius thats the film I normally use, and it is finely grained, I'ved used both ultrafin and ultrafin plus, as developers but I prefer ultrafin, I seem to get a better blue-black with it,
    I also use tetnal eukobrom paper developer which I also use for the processing the maco genius film, I like to tray develop and watch the image appear.

bob

One nice thing about APHS is that it is easy to develop by inspection---use a red safe light.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Bob,

is it the Voigtlander lens which is soft then, or the film which is not plane with the imaging axis?

I wonder if the emulsion of this is soft - I can see your fingermarks - looks like ring and index finger on the left hand side

Tetenal chemicals are fantastic - I'm just discovering them and will have to try the Eukobrom. I hear it doesn't last long. I'm also using a slot processor - I don't get to watch very much develop at all

Maco Ort25c is incredibly fine grained - much finer than Ilford's Ortho Plus which is rated at 125 ISO? It's not my favourite copy film either and is too fast to use with barrel lenses. Guess that's why I like the slow stuff.

Rob,
    I think you may be right, I have only one film holder that the film fits, and looking at the image it is not sharp, the attached image is taken on shanghai pan film at the same time, it focus is much sharper, I'm going to trim the aphs film to fit my riteway holders and see if I get a sharrper image, one of the things I like about it is the short development time compared with the 8.5 mins of the pan film, your right about the finger prints, but I think thats just my carlessness

bob

Robert,

Both images don't look particularly sharp - is it possibly your scanning method or is the negative definitely soft? I guess it is the alignment of the film plane sitting off, if you're finding the same issue with small apertures and different films. What size is the film holder you're using?

if you're getting streaking marks/fingermarks etc on your film, you might like to try pre-washing in 20C plain tap water for a few minutes. I find this allows me to use a gentle agitation cycle and less finger marks too. It also means that because agitation is slower, the contrast control of the development cycle is better.

Rob.
    I'm using riteway 5x4, the aphs film is a little over spec and will not fit in them, it's about a sixteenth over size. so I've trimed some down tonight, and fitted it in the riteway holders, so will do some test shots tomorrow, to check focus. etc . I've also changed my lens board
    and put the wollensak lens back in, my camera is home made, so there is a possabilty that the film plane is a little out

Quote Originally Posted by robert fallis View Post
    Rob.
    I'm using riteway 5x4, the aphs film is a little over spec and will not fit in them, it's about a sixteenth over size. so I've trimed some down tonight, and fitted it in the riteway holders, so will do some test shots tomorrow, to check focus. etc . I've also changed my lens board
    and put the wollensak lens back in, my camera is home made, so there is a possabilty that the film plane is a little out
    That is odd. I have used APHS in Riteway holders off and on for years and never had a problem with the size. I also use APHS 8x10 in my regular holders and do not have a problem.
    This is by far the sharpest film I use.

Jim ,
    Ive checked it again, it is a sixteenth over size, I've got a MMP holder and it won't fit that , still it's easy enough to trim the edge, and I'm retired so I've all the time in the world.

Bob
    Last edited by robert fallis; 16-Aug-2007 at 13:57. Reason: spelling