Thread: Gitzo tripod question

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Gitzo tripod question

Hi everyone;
    Tonight at an auction, my dad picked me up and older (possibly cira 1960's) Gitzo tripod (made in France). Massive tripod, it has the R. No.3 head, crank centre shaft, and I would estimate it could easily carry an 8x10 - so more than overkill for my 4x5.

The tripod is in excellent shape, but I cannot find any model number on it - save for the head. Does anybody have or know of w web site or book on older Gitzo tripods? I plan to use this tripod for certian, but would like to learn a bit more about it
    thanks
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Re: Gitzo tripod question

I've got one of those, it's simply the Model 3. I use it with my Busch Pressman 4x5 - it's fab, a perfect match. Back then, Gitzo rated their tripods and heads by weight carrying capacity, from series 1 (might hold your Leica) to series 5, which could probably hold a Mitchell movie camera. The series 4 and 5 tripod designs come from a World War I machine gun mount.

At the time your tripod was made they were all made from aluminium and the series numbering refered to the diameter of the larger tube. Numbering of each model refered to various datas like the number of sections, rapid/geared center column, spreading possibilities of legs etc...
    And, yes balanced tripod/head sets were sold and the series 3 heads matched series 3 legs.
    I may have an old catalog at my office, I'll give it a look.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Thanks guys. even though it's an older model, with that "hammer grey" finish, the tripod is a keeper. Large centre geared shaft, the legs have three settings for spreading, the diameter of the top of the main legs is roughly 1.5 inches, everything works.

About the only "complaint" is while it is built like a tank, it weigh's almost as much as a tank. However I have a couple nice Berlebach's for hiking, so this one will ride in the car with me when I am hauling out the monorail instead of the field camera. I also have a nice 80mm refractor telescope so this thing will serve me dual purpose - in fact, the legs on this Gitzo are heavier and more sturdy than the legs on my old Celestron C8 SCT - so hmm, who knows.

In any event, after seeing this one first hand, I would soundly recommend these old tripods to anyone, weight issue notwithstanding.

thanks again
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Joe,
    you may want to take a few mins and make sure all the fasteners are snug, the last 2 older gitzo's I obtained needed various amounts of cleaning and tweaking. Best to disassemble the legs, give them a good cleaning and reassemble.

erie