Thread: New C-1 Owner w questions

New C-1 Owner w questions

Hi All,

Just got my new C-1 home and was playing w it. WHat's the right way to fold it down to carry? I can get the bellows almost fully compressed, but the rail sticks out the back. Is there a simple way to fold the rail, or by removing the extension rail do I gain anything in packability? I thought I could use it without the extension rail, but am not sure. How do you C-1 users pack your green monsters?
    Also, what's the right way to lubricate the focus mechanism? TIA<

GB

Re: New C-1 Owner w questions

you should be able to slide the back standard off the rail and lock it to the front standard. then there is a screw that you undo and the back standard folds up. the screw is located just behind where the two rails separate....where you take the back standard off the rails and onto the front.

for lube you can wire brush and/or lightly sand the sliding rails. sand both sides of the rails and do not forget to do the parts that are attached to the standards.

i am attaching some photos. i am pointing to the knob that allows the rail to be folded. i also sent some pics for the plate i made for keeping the monster sitting on the tripod nicely. you had asked about that before.

hope this helps.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks, Eddie, that's what I was looking for.

GB

Eddie, what tripod head and legs you using?

Well, I really need help with the focusing gear now. I cleaned it w some fine sandpaper, and now the dirt's gone, but it's still very stiff. Any ideas what else might be causing this?

If I loosen the screw holding the guide rails to the rear standard, the it runs much more easily, so it's not a dirt problem, but rather it seems there's too much friction when the screws are fully tightened. Do they have to be fully tightened, or do they function as resistance regulators? The locking screws are free, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Strobel View Post
    Eddie, what tripod head and legs you using?
    hi chris, i am using a 3047 head and 3021 legs. i am in the market for a bigger one, but i can not find what i am looking for. i found a 3033 but you can not adjust the inner stays individually. i am looking for one about that big but that is fully adjustable. i think it is a 3051.

the 3021 does an okay job at holding the montser. but as we all know bigger is better! (that applies to tripods, film, and cubic inches!)

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery