Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Era vs Shanghai?

Era vs Shanghai?

Not too bothered about in-depth responses...

What is the preferred film?

I'm planning on buying a few packs to use once I have the opportunity and the money available.

Any links to previous discussions would be great, but a subjective and definitive answer from any users is good enough for me

Re: Era vs Shanghai?

not the answer you are looking for but i find that foma 100 (arista edu ultra) to be cheaper than the two you asked about. i love foma 100 in 4x5. simply awesome. i use hc110 at dil. g (1:119) for 18 min agitated every 3rd min, and get wonderful results.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I saw Shanghai GP3 only in 120 rolls and Era only in 135 or sheet, so I don't think they are comparable, at least with one camera. Otherwise I find Era (because I shot with roll film and 4x5) a bit better with Pyrocat-HD, but then again this can be connected with the size. Bigger negatives always look better!
    Last edited by Andrey Donchev; 3-Aug-2007 at 00:02.

Eddie, I'm in the UK and the chinese emulsions are available to buy at £5 for Era 25 sheets, and £10 for Shanghai 48 sheets (no idea why it's two short of 50). I don't think I can get Foma for that cost, 50 sheets is £16.

Andrey, thanks for that

i do not know ash. we get the arista.edu ultra (they say it is the same) here for $17 for a box of fifty 4x5. sounds like 8 pounds to me. ( i assume you are asking about 4x5? any way just for comparison) it is made in the czech republic so the shipping has got to be cheaper there than over on this side of the pond. maybe not. i just looked at all these prices and decided that the arista was the way to go because the shipping from china was making it a tad more expensive.
    good luck and let us know what you find out....and how the film you get shoots.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie, Arista.Edu Ultra is notoriously cheep, and although it is made by Foma, you can not buy Foma film on the same as Arista price. Even in Freestyle Foma costs more then Arista.Edu Ultra. And only Freestyle sales Arista brand . . .

Dear Ash,
    I have bought Era films and tested it. It's a very good film, quite similar to the old Ilford FP4. Not a very long straight line and a long shoulder. It works a little like "old" emulsion. It is very well packed and cost peanuts. 40 Eur. for 100 sheets (including shipping). A very very intersting film.
    Philippe

Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Donchev View Post
    Eddie, Arista.Edu Ultra is notoriously cheep, and although it is made by Foma, you can not buy Foma film on the same as Arista price. Even in Freestyle Foma costs more then Arista.Edu Ultra. And only Freestyle sales Arista brand . . .
    good enough. only trying to help.

sometimes i am glad i am in the US others times i am not.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I've no experience with Era or Shanghai, but if you're including Arista.eduUltra in with the lot I think the 100 iso is a really superb film. The situation IMHO is similar to back when FP-4+ was branded as the original Arista---a very fine emulsion offered at bargain prices which is great for students who can now afford to work with a "first tier" film again.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I bought some rebranded Ilford Pan F+ Arista, and it was super-cheap in comparison to UK prices but I got hit by nasty customs and postage costs on top.

That's my only worry about buying Arista again.