Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Affordable Imacon scanner?

Affordable Imacon scanner?

This isn't my field. Is there a new one coming out (that is affordable)?

I'd had half been persuaded that I needed an Epson V750, but word of mouth from other photographers tell me that I should check out the Imacon.

I don't know what an Imacon is, but it sounds like a kind of bowel preparation.

Help?

Baxter

Re: Affordable Imacon scanner?

Imacons (now branded under Hasselblad) are very good, but only scan up to 5x4, so probably not what you are after.

It would be useful to know what your budget is and what size of original you would be scanning. An Imacon is a great solution for 5x4 but the cheapest you are likely to find them is around £1,000 - and that's for an early model. New, they retail for well over £10,000.

There is a world of difference in quality between a high-end scanner, like an Imacon, and a good consumer scanner, like the V750 but the question is whether you really need this extra quality and/or are prepared to pay for it.

Other options would be a used high-end flatbed or a used drum scanner - although the latter would require investing time and effort into getting the best out of it.

Imacon's now come in two models the X1 and X5 and the new prices in the US are ~ 12K and 20K respectively. They are basically an interesting variation on the flatbed scanner and are, as pointed out, an improvement over the consumer scanners. IMO at either their new or used prices for current or recent models they are not a good value. You can buy used high-end flatbeds and drums that outperform the Imacons for the same money. For example, a new Kodak/Creo IQ Smart 3 is about the same price as the Imacon X5 .... has better resolution and better DMax and IMO delivers better scans and is easier to use and handles film up to 12x20.

Just to add to what Ted stated, several of the high end flatbeds on the market also allow more scans per hour than an Imacon. That can make a huge difference when you have many scans to perform.

Epson does not make any high end scanners. While the Expression 10000XL is fairly good, this is actually a mid range scanner. A v750 would be considered a low end scanner, though it might meet the needs of some end users.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

And ... the Expression 10000XL or its Microtek counterpart the 1000XL give the same performance as the low end scanners, they just have larger scnning beds.

I really don't know. I thought I heard that there was a new Imacon coming out around £1,500 (UK).

Just thinking that I'd like to scan whole plate film sometimes, since I only have a 5x4" enlarger, although I'm not sure I like the idea of scanning a whole plate film, I was just wondering about the option.

If it's £10,000 I'd rather buy another Sony Ericsson 3.2megapixel mobile phone and save the rest for some more film....hmm...it's really hard getting priorities right!

If you can find a used Imacon Precision II for $2-3k that's not a bad option for 4x5. The 646 is more like $5-6k used. Not all of us have the space for a 200-300lb flatbed scanner. The Imacons are a tower design to save space.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Imacon's now come in two models the X1 and X5 and the new prices in the US are ~ 12K and 20K respectively. They are basically an interesting variation on the flatbed scanner and are, as pointed out, an improvement over the consumer scanners. IMO at either their new or used prices for current or recent models they are not a good value. You can buy used high-end flatbeds and drums that outperform the Imacons for the same money. For example, a new Kodak/Creo IQ Smart 3 is about the same price as the Imacon X5 .... has better resolution and better DMax and IMO delivers better scans and is easier to use and handles film up to 12x20.

well, the IQ Smart 3 weighs more like 100 pounds and occupies a dedicated 36x30 tabe in my workroom. The Cezanne is somewhat larger, weighing in at more likr 150 pounds and occupying the better part of a 5 foot by 30" tabe that it shares with a monitor and keyboard. BTW, the Cezanne's tail extends another 3-4 feet beyond the end of the table. So, Larry is right that these are not beasts for a small space.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Menzin View Post
    If you can find a used Imacon Precision II for $2-3k that's not a bad option for 4x5. The 646 is more like $5-6k used. Not all of us have the space for a 200-300lb flatbed scanner. The Imacons are a tower design to save space.

Or look for a used, older Imacon Flex Photo which doesn't normally do 4x5. I use a modified 6x17 film holder and scan one half of the frame, then the other half, and stitch. Works extremely well, gives me 3200 dpi resolution instead of the lower 1800 dpi, as I recall in the dedicated 4x5 mode with the Precision II.

Imacon use to make custom film holders but since merger with Hasselblad I have no idea if they are still available. Mine cost about $225.00.