Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner Advice

Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner Advice

HI All,
    I’m considering the purchase of a used Howtek 4500 drum scanner for use with OSX. The unit comes with Mac software on floppy disks so it’s a safe bet that I will have to pick up some new drivers/software to make it operable. Any suggestions on what software is available and or required to get the scanner running with OSX?

Re: Howtek 4500 Srum Scanner Advice

I think Silverfast is the only reasonably priced software that will run your Howtek on OSX. Otherwise you can always find an older Mac with SCSI and OS9.
    Good luck!

Re: Howtek 4500 Drum Scanner Advice

Silverfast won't even come close to letting you use the full capabilities of the scanner. You can get the fullblown package from Aztrek or get Trident from them ... Trident will get you most of the way there for some 1000 to 1500 less but wills till cost you a grant if memory serves. Beyond that, make sure that the scanner's firmware will allow you to operate with OSX and with machines newer than a G3 ... some machines will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Silverfast won't even come close to letting you use the full capabilities of the scanner.
    Ted, why is this? Silverfast is powerful enough for flatbeds... maybe it has to do with the fact Silverfast has been developed for CCD's and not PMT technology?

Quote Originally Posted by dburdeny View Post
    HI All,
    I’m considering the purchase of a used Howtek 4500 drum scanner for use with OSX.
    That may be a problem. Call Aztek and ask. The scanner is a 1990s design, well before OSX. Unless Silverfast supports it with OSX. Trident topped out at MacOS 9.x. DPL is windoze only. I think there was a package called Aurora for it, but the name is all I can remember (and that may well be wrong).

Bruce Watson

Ted; Please explain? I have heard the exact opposite. That the silverfast is best with the modern OS. I believe the Trident is a pain to work with and the only better driver is AZTEKs digital Photolab.

PHALL

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Silverfast won't even come close to letting you use the full capabilities of the scanner. You can get the fullblown package from Aztrek or get Trident from them ... Trident will get you most of the way there for some 1000 to 1500 less but wills till cost you a grant if memory serves. Beyond that, make sure that the scanner's firmware will allow you to operate with OSX and with machines newer than a G3 ... some machines will not.

Quote Originally Posted by dburdeny View Post
    HI All,
    I’m considering the purchase of a used Howtek 4500 drum scanner for use with OSX. The unit comes with Mac software on floppy disks so it’s a safe bet that I will have to pick up some new drivers/software to make it operable. Any suggestions on what software is available and or required to get the scanner running with OSX?

David
    I've done some checking on getting a Howtek 4500 and spoke with Aztec about it, you're going to have a major problem using it on a Mac. First it's a SCSI interface and there is no current reliable card or support for it on OS-X macs. Even if you have software that is Mac compatible, there are no current scsi cards. You will have to run it on a PC, there's no other way. This has been what's been keeping me from getting a drum scanner. Currently I have an Imacon/Hassleblad.

Brian,

Are you sure this is correct? Adaptec has cards that support OSX through 10x3.x and ATTO has cards taht support 10.4.x. I know beause I am running my Cezanne scanner on one. Or, are you saying that none of these cards are supported by the Howtek which I am also not sure is accurate. The 4500 firware, OTOH, may not be capable of addressing any operating sysstem later than 9.x regardless of the SCSI interface. I believe, if there is a problem, the problem will be with the scanner's firmware being able to talk to the OS (and perhaps the computer's firmware ... see my earlier post).

One major point here that the OP may have figured out by now ... when you get into the realm of running some of this hardware you egin to deal with legcacy systems and it is not for the faint of heart.

In theory running boot camp with Windows 95 or xp should work – it’s the SCSI interface that concerns me. Perhaps an adapter is enough to complete the chain…seems to easy though. Silverfasts website indicates the 4500 is supported under OSX.x.x, but again we come back to the SCSI issue. Might be time to pull an old Dell out of storage.

I'm running a Howtek 4500 on a Mac G4 w/ OS9.2 and Trident 4 software. It works great!

As far as a SCSI card is concerned, all you need is an Adaptec 2906.

Manufacturer website:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/product...ntry/AVA-2906/

Mac OS9 drivers for 2906:
    http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/downloa...SCSI+Card+2906

It appears that these are still available. Look at pricewatch.com for several online retailers:
    http://castle.pricewatch.com/s/searc...s=adaptec+2906

On another note, the only challenging part for me was finding a ADB-to-USB adapter for the Trident dongle. I ended buying a CompuCable Mini-ADB adapter:
    http://www.addlogix.com/mac_products...body.html#ip_7
    http://rcsnet.com/www_site/product.cfm?prd=USB-2MD4

Good luck!!!
    Mike Boden

www.mikeboden.com
    Instagram: @mikebodenphoto