Thread: Time to replace Epson 3200 scanner?

Time to replace Epson 3200 scanner?

Is upgrading an Epson 3200 scanner (mine's about 4 years old now) worthwhile? I use mine for scanning 4x5 Tmax and Trix so I don't need any increase in Dmax. I usually don't print anything larger that 16x20 so the extra resolution isn't that much use to me.

I do realize that there is more to scanning thatn Dmax and resoltuion, so should I dump the 3200 for an Epson V700 or V750?

thanks

Re: Time to replace Epson 3200 scanner?

why do you think you need to replace it?

Is there a new Epson advertisement out?

Jonathan asked "is it worthwhile to upgrade " .

Offer an opinion not a cheap shot .

I'm in a similar position and would also be keen to hear the consensus .

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Lee View Post
    Is upgrading an Epson 3200 scanner (mine's about 4 years old now) worthwhile? I use mine for scanning 4x5 Tmax and Trix so I don't need any increase in Dmax. I usually don't print anything larger that 16x20 so the extra resolution isn't that much use to me.
    I doubt very much that you'll be well served by spending your money on a newer scanner. If all you are doing is a 4x enlargement, and you are happy with the results you are currently getting, I recommend against an "upgrade." I think you'd be better served by spending the money on film, processing, and printing.

Bruce Watson

I went from a 3200 to 4990 a couple of years ago and the scans are slightly cleaner and nicer... enough that I can notice but maybe not enough to say it was worth it (but I needed the 8x10 tranny ability that the 4990 has). So maybe jumping two generations to a 750 would be significant.

Of course you could just run the 3200 another year or two and use the savings to buy a few drum or Imacon scans of the very best images, since at moderates sizes. 11x14 or smaller you probably will not see a difference between the Epsons...

I tend to think every 5-6 years there are enough improvements to justify a new $500 scanner...

Last year i began shooting 8x10 and my imacon and 3200 won't go that big. I recently picked up a Screen dt-s1030ai drum scanner with drum, mounting station, mac, external hard drive, zip drive, jazz drive, mounting station, mounting "juice", and software for $227. Sure i'll be screwed if it breaks and it takes a bit longer to wet mount originals but you're screwed if the epson breaks down as well. I paid more than that for my epson 3200 which i consider and always have considered to produce crap for scans when compared to my imacon or a drum scan. My 2¢

Hmmm...a used drum scanner, now that's something I didn't think of before. There's no way that I can afford an Imacon, so I've always put that out of my mind.

Other than the Screen Vinny mentioned is there other worthwhile ones that work in an OSX environment (I'm at 10.3.9)?

If you decide to upgrade, you should sell me your 3200 pinkmoon (at) cogeco (dot) ca

vinny was real lucky. Generally speaking, you can pickup a well cared for, nicely working high end scanner in the $4000 to $7000 range from one of the reliable equipment brokers. These guys fully check and refurbish what needs refurbishing before they sell you the machine and offer some sort of warrenty. The two that most readiluy come to mind are Bob Weber and Genesis Equipment. Sure, you can get fantastic deals from eBay but you areally are taking a chance that you mighta have to make additional, significant investments before you have a working scanner.

For LF printing up to 3X I don't believe you will gain much in terms of sharpness by replacing the 3200 with a V700 or V750.

However, one advantage of the V700 and V750, and 4990 for that matter, over the 3200 is that they permit scans up to 8X10" in size. I find this very useful as I make contact sheets of my work in both LF film and medium format by scanning the film. I just leave it in the print file sheets with a sheet of anti-glare glass on top to hold the plastic down, and scan. These are not final scans for printing, of course, just something that will help me look through the negatives to evaluate which ones deserve further attention.

Sandy King