Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: front rise gear disassembly on Ansco 8x10

front rise gear disassembly on Ansco 8x10

Ash and Randy's projects have inspired me to try my had at rebuilding an Ansco 8x10. Taking it apart, I've already run into a (for me) stumbling block. The gear for front rise has knobs on both ends, and no evident way to remove it from the front standard. Surely there's a way to remove it, any suggestions?
    -Mick

Re: front rise gear disassembly on Ansco 8x10

Isn't that a screw of some sort in the first picture?

Which vintage is this? They might be different.

My post-war plastic [bakelite?] knobbed camera has a screw. Which I guess is the same thing your first photo shows. A small enough screw driver should do it.

Nick,

If it's a screw, it must be completely corroded. I've attached a closer picture, and I can't see any screw-head slot.

As far as the vintage, I'd love for someone knowledgeable to tell when it was made. It has front rise and tilt, and there is a metal cross-bar above the standard that is U-shaped to accommodate the tilt. It is dark stained, and alcohol doesn't seem to affect the finish, so I assume it is lacquer.

My plan is to disassemble completely, strip and refinish the wood, polish the brass and purchase a new bellows. I'm new to this, so I'd like to just do enough work so that I can start shooting with it.

-Mick

Ooo I got a mention

Good luck with the project

You've got tilt so it's post 1943 I think. It's similar to mine but I've got the different finish and hardware. Maybe mine has been changed over the years. Some body did add front swing.

Check the other knobs. All mine have similar screws. At least it'll tell you if it should be a screw.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Noordewier View Post
    Nick,

If it's a screw, it must be completely corroded. I've attached a closer picture, and I can't see any screw-head slot.

As far as the vintage, I'd love for someone knowledgeable to tell when it was made.

-Mick
    Mick,

If it was a screw, then someone has broken the head off it. It looks too smooth on the top to be broken off. If it goes all the way through, then it's a friction fit "drive-pin" and it punches out with a pin punch and hammer (a small one).

One way to get rid of the rust without making a big mess is to use CLR and a q-tip swab. If it's a hex socket set screw (and I don't think it is), the hole "might" be filled with rust (very slim chance of that).

Yours is the same style as mine but the colours are different. Mine is gray-green with nickel plated trim. Mine is a 1941 model.

cheers

John,

It does indeed look as if it goes all the way through. Tomorrow's shopping list includes your suggestion of a pin punch.

There's another piece that I'm also struggling with. The rear swing locks down with two large thumb nuts. These loosen, but can't be unscrewed completely. I'm sure that this was an intentional design feature so that they aren't lost, but it prohibits me from removing the hardware from the rear standard. Any suggestions?

-Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Noordewier View Post
    "... Tomorrow's shopping list includes your suggestion of a pin punch..."
    Mick,

The pin looks like it's been in there for quite a while. Some sort of penetrating oil might free it up a bit before you start whacking on the punch. A product like "PB Blaster" can work wonders.