Thread: Kodak 203mm Anastigmat shutter

Question Kodak 203mm Anastigmat shutter

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to LF photography as well. I have an unmounted Kodak 203mm Anastigmat (not the Ektar version) and was thinking about getting a shutter for it.

I have a speed graphic and can use the focal plane shutter but I would still need to get a shutter flange for the lens, and it would be great to get a flash sync-able shutter too.

Does anyone have one of these? what shutter is it in?

thanks!

Re: Kodak 203mm Anastigmat shutter

AFAIK, the Kodak lenses, at least the Ektar versions, used a custom sized shutter opening, rather than a stock Ilex Acme shutter. So an appropriately sized Ilex shutter from another brand of lens elements would not fit the Kodak lenses without custom modification.

You may want to look out for smaller sized supermatic shutters, they didn't make too many different sizes(including barrel mount thread so it shouldn't be too difficult).

CP Goerz

What you need is the kodak supermatic or the flash supermatic.The flash super will sync
    with with flash when set on F. The two I have do. You will need to use the little bigtail
    adapter. These shutters(I think have a 32MM.thread diamiter) Take a look on ebay they
    pop up now and then. Your other choice, if you or someone you know has an old 110
    Polaroid Pathfinder it should have a Wollensak Rapax shutter with X sync. You'll stil need
    the bigtail though. The anastigmat you have if it's the same size as the Ektar and I
    think they were will fit the Rapax You will have to make corections for the apreture.
    At first galnce the spacing may appear to be short. But, the deep threads on the Kodak
    cells make up this. They must because I've used this combination many times and
    always got very good results. Never shot chromes though because of the apreture
    difference, not as simple to work out as one would think, for B/W fine. Now I"ve got
    the correct shutter and see no diffrence.If your anstigmat is one of the latter ones, It may be an Ektar but not marked as such and probably not coated. If so it's a very sharp
    lens even wide open.Please keep in mind what I just said is what I think I remember from many years ago and not gospel.
    good luck, Joe A

Try to get the thread measurements on a Flash SuperMatic, a SuperMatic X and a Compur of the same thread sizes. These are the shutters you lens likely would have been mounted in when new. Look at the S.K. Grimes site for more information about some of these things. They could give you some expert advice, too.

thanks guys! I actually read that this lens should go into a supermatic #2 and bought one off 'ewwbay' its quite a bit bigger that the supermatic #2 and the threads are wider apart.

The supermatic is a nice shutter anyways, even if it doesn't fit.

I guess I need to get a caliper and measure this thing out properly. or call SK Grimes.

Oh, boy. If the lens is bigger than a #2 Supermatic, it may come closer to fitting into a modern shutter. If you ever want to dispose of that #2 shutter, I may be interested. I've got a busted one.