Hello

First of all, thanks to everyone who contributes to this site. It's great just to browse the posts, do searches, etc. and get loads of wonderful information and opinions. I hope some day to be able to contribute something myself.

I have wanted to take up large format photography for a long, long while but thought I never had the time. Recently it dawned on me that life doesn't go on forever (I'm 53) and I'd better get my butt of the couch and get going and make time. There are a lot pictures I want to make, and if I'm fortunate I've got around 25 years to do it.

I've taken eight 4x5 pics so far using TMax 400. Blew one by not closing the shutter before I removed the dark slide. It might not matter because because I may have even fogged the whole box, as I found out after the fact that the foil packets are not guaranteed to be light tight What the hey, I've been learning to set up and use my camera and the light meter. Each time I set up and take the pic, it seems to take a little less time, as I'm becoming more familiar with the gear and the process. When I learn to develop (my chemicals arrived today!!!), I'll see what happened, and if I've been doing everything all wrong.

I've geared up for my usual summer vacation in Rhode Island, my home state (I live in Indianapolis, IN). Usually, I trot out the surf fishing gear and fish every moment I can. This trip I've decided to take the camera and two assistants to carry my gear (my two teenage sons). For travel, I broke down and got some Readyload TMax and Quickload Provia. I just hope I don't get spoiled. That stuff's expensive, but it's probably very, very nice to use.

Nice to be here.

Ed Cardoza