I'm curious about a few things dealing with camera weight and size (i.e. format choice) and the associated equipment involved.

For example, lets say we have a nice field cam that is an 8X10, weighs say, about 5lbs like the Philips Explorer. Then we have some very light lenses from the 4/4 series by Fujinon (A/C), and Nikkor (M/A?). The weight of the actual equipment comes in at say 8-10lbs for the cam and three lenses on boards.

But then there is the tripod...the 8X10 holders...the 8X10 film (it may not seem like a lot, but compare the weight of 1 4X5 piece and 4/4X5 pieces...adds up if you have 4 sheets of 8X10 with you).

What do people shooting with larger or even smaller LF formats do about eliminating weight?

I.E. Use a light tripod? How light is considered a light tripod that will do a proper job of keeping things stable out in the field?

Holders?...how heavy are those 8X10 holders?!?!?!???...How does one eliminate this variable...any lightweight type holders to compensate?

I'm most concerned with the Tripod and Holders...Given one uses all lightweight lenses/camera, how can one do their best to eliminate the rest of the weight?

What this brings me to and the reason why I ask this question is because just as people will pay the premium to have light lenses, they will pay the premium for the lightweight field cam, especially the very well built ones that are very sturdy in spite their weight...in other words, if the equipment (tripod/holders/etc.) is weighing in at like 10-15lbs or more?, what difference does 5 more lbs of a camera or lenses make to such an outfit? I know packing with 5lbs or even 10lbs more is a noticeable difference, but certainly not one for a person that is in fine physical condition cannot live with knowing they saved $2000 buying "regularly large" sized Rodenstock/Schneider lenses by comparison to the small Fujinons/Nikkors.

A bit of a congested post as usual, but hopefully I have placed words carefully enough for people that know enough about field/packing/travel with LF will be able to help with.

Thanks all!!!