Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which View Camera for Life?

Which View Camera for Life?

Unlike 35mm AF cameras, View Cameras can last you for life. The only thing that makes them useless is not having the materials to use them. Which view camera (one only) would you pick,if you knew you had to use it for th e rest of your life? It can be any format, field or monorail and any make. If y ou need accessories(like bag bellows or extension rail) please include them. Ple ase no creatives answer like, "I would get a 24x24 monorail with reducing backs for 12x20,8x20, 7x17, 11x14, 8x10,5x7,4x5". This camera should go nicely with y our ONE lens.

I know what you are getting at... the problem with questions like this is the assumption that you, as a photographer don't change or evolve with your photography, which if true would be pretty sad. I have used many cameras and systems over the years and each played its role to get me where I am today. My current "love affair" (i.e not "marriage fore life") is Arca Swiss 6x9 with Schneider 110 XL. Who knows what tomorrow will bring ;-)

David, I could quite happily remain faithful to my Ebony SW and Schneider 110 XL, as long as I had a half dozen 5x4 film holders and a good supply of FP4 Plus!! Regards Paul

Good question...10,000 answers. In my opinion, if I had to buy one camera today that would have to last the rest of my life, it would be a Linhof Technica, current model. It would not handle extreme focal length lenses, but it will handle most photography I intend to do. I would equip it with a 210mm lens. That lens will handle a lot of picture situations. I use a wide angle a lot, but if forced to choose one, it would be the 150 or 210. Actually, a lot of the old LF photographers did buy the old Linhofs and use them for life. They were buying a tool, not a fancy rig for their collection. Many a photographer never owned another LF than a Graphic with a 135 or 150 lens. Incidentally, I would by the rangefinder with the Technica.

Any one you like. Since they're not technology driven, they hold a lot of their value.

Decide on your format: for most that's 4x5 or 8x10. Get 8x10 if you want to make contact prints and can handle the weight, 4x5 if you want to enlarge or can't handle the weight. I've got both 'cause I can't make up my mind.

I like monorails for ease of use, but flat-bed field cameras for their sturdiness in wind. I've got one 4x5 of each.

You could spend $5,000+ on a top-notch 4x5 with all the bells and whistles or $2,000 and get a couple or three, likely used.

Out of curiosity, why do you ask?

A wooden field, perhaps a Deardorff 8x10. Mine has already lasted a lifetime, and it probably still has another 100 years in it.

3 1/4x 4 1/4 Super-D Graflex, with f:4.5/152mm Ektar and half-a-dozen Bag-Mags.

Ebony SV810U. There is no doubt I will collapse before it does. Nikon 360 f6.5, for everything from portraits to landscapes.

Nathan

Regardless of what you get - buy it USED! It will have plenty of stories to tell you.

My vote goes for Arca-Swiss, for a few reasons. It works well in both the field and the studio. It's well made, and you can easily change format sizes -- down to 6x9 and up to either 5x7 or 8x10. Only downside for this camera system is that cameras, accessories, and format changing kits are a trifle expensive.