Thread: Single Channel scans with Vuescan

Single Channel scans with Vuescan

Hi everyone. I have just entered the world of large format and digital scanning. I have just purchased vuescan to use with my V700. One of the reasons I purchased it was because I read a thread on this forum that mentioned it was possible to make scans using just one colour channel. I believe it was Ed Richards that mentioned this. I spent the whole day yesterday trying to figure out how to do it but did't really get anywhere.

I want to be able to takes scans of just the green channel in 16bit so I don't get giant files. I know this can be done in PS after but my computer struggles with large files. If this is possible I would appreciate it if someone could let me know what settings I need to tweak to be able to achieve this?

I also just want to Thank everyone for all there input in past threads. I think I have learnt more from this forum than any other resource!

Re: Single Channel scans with Vuescan

I can't help you with the Vuescan question. Unless there is a newer version out, it was unable to do that in the version I have on my machine.

It's a simple procedure to convert the file to grayscale, and this step can be done as the very first step, so you only have to suffer through the loading of the big file into PS once.

---Michael

Use the Advanced options on the Color tab.

On the Input tab, you can set Make Gray from Green.

Choose Color balance manual.

Set the Brightness red and Brightness blue to 0. Set the Brightness green to 1. Now you are scanning only the Green channel at 100%.

Thanks for the response Ken and Michael. Ken that was just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Use the Advanced options on the Color tab.

On the Input tab, you can set Make Gray from Green.

Choose Color balance manual.

Set the Brightness red and Brightness blue to 0. Set the Brightness green to 1. Now you are scanning only the Green channel at 100%.
    I have a newer version of Vuescan perhaps and it won't go to 0 in the color channel brightness but only to 0.001. Is that going to be the same thing or will it waste a lot of memory scanning all the channels still (but at a greatly reduced brightness for blue and red)?

I basically want to scan only in green so as to be able to scan at a high resolution more quickly than in 48-bit color if going to drop the blue and red channels anyway.