Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flange/jam nut alternative for about $1!

Talking flange/jam nut alternative for about $1!

I took a field trip to the hardware store today to see what in blazes I could use to fabricate a flange or jamb nut for my 178mm Aero Ektar. One of the guys suggested a toilet tank to bowl washer from the plumbing department and----it works great! If you have an approx. 3" dia flangeless barrel lens you want to fit onto a lensboard check this out:

thriftco part # 525-T

It is a thick tapered rubber washer that holds even the behemoth nuclear fired A-E tightly to the graphic "C" board (a slight trim is needed to clear the light trap on each side on the lensboard--about a 16th on an inch---easily accomplished with an exacto knife.)

Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: flange/jam nut alternative for about $1!

Wow. Cool.

I made working flanges from the lens cone that came with lens off the K-24 camera. All I needed was a drill and a big file.

I'll have to look into the bowl washer idea.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

That's the great thing about real hardware stores as apposed to home crepot, they can be helpful. My local osh has everything.

I should correct my original post---by "flangeless" I mean a lens needing a flange or jam nut to hold it onto the lensboard. Sorry for any confusion (but I was just so gosh darn excited about getting the A-E on board!) This is less messy than using gorilla caulk or construction adhesive.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John is on a roll. Too cool.

Look at my post on this very subject for another alternative.

How cool is that! And you could use the tank painted black for a wide angle lens shade, and I'm wondering about making some film holders out of those toilet seats! Everything I need in one aisle. Sorry, John, it's late and I've had some vino you know.

I needed a large spacer to move an old Ross Petzval forward so it hit the lensboard right and didn't interfere with the Packard shutter. I'll admit to cutting a 3" ABS waste pipe coupling to the correct size. Once again, same aisle.

Much of the time what I shoot ought to go through toilet plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Schultz View Post
    Much of the time what I shoot ought to go through toilet plumbing.
    Bruce,

Try cutting back on the fiber!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    How cool is that! And you could use the tank painted black for a wide angle lens shade, and I'm wondering about making some film holders out of those toilet seats! Everything I need in one aisle. Sorry, John, it's late and I've had some vino you know.

I needed a large spacer to move an old Ross Petzval forward so it hit the lensboard right and didn't interfere with the Packard shutter. I'll admit to cutting a 3" ABS waste pipe coupling to the correct size. Once again, same aisle.
    Great minds think alike! I still have a couple of aerial film cans I fabricated out of ABS pipe---it is amazing how much they look like pipe bombs! Even more amazing is the lack of humor among airport security types!

Hmmm..,film holders out of toilet seats? I wonder...???