Thread: Sinar lens boards and film holders

Question Sinar lens boards and film holders

Hello everybody,

I hope to be able to put together a little 4x5 kit around a Sinar F since I got a pretty good deal on one. What I am missing now are : lens board and film holders. That's why I wanted to ask the following questions :
    1. Are ebay offers on 3rd party manufactured lens boards ok or shoud I look for a original Sinar lens board ( no DB lenses at least for now )?
    2. What used holders for 4x5 are good/no problems ?
    3. Are roll film holders of the type of the Calumet or Sinar Vario good ar should I look out for the Horsemann type ( the Sinar Vario is very expensive on the used market and would cost as much as camera + lens + tripod ) ?
    Thanks, from a hopefully soon to be 4x5 shooter

Regards, Stefan

Re: Sinar lens boards and film holders

About question #2; all brands of 4x5 holders will work fine- if they are in good physical condition. Just avoid holders that have been worn out or abused. There are many, many good used ones to be had.

I've not had any problems with the third party boards. I have an old Singer 6x7 holder and it works fine.

Mike

Horseman boards and bellows work fine on Sinars.

Genuine Sinar boards have been going so cheap on ebay that I don't know if I'd bother with the immitation lens boards. That said, I have a Bromwell board for Sinar that works just fine and looks pretty nice too. The Horseman boards are also fine.

Hi Stefan
    I also use Sinar F, I can share my experience to you
    1. I have both and I didn't find any difference in use, but if you want to save weight, you can use 3rd party, original Sinar lens boards is more steady & rigit than 3rd party. But you can use this to save space http://cgi.ebay.com/Sinar-to-Linhof-...QQcmdZViewItem
    2. As Mark said, try to find holders with good physical condition.
    3. If money is not an issue to your bank account get one of Sinar Vario, I use Horseman back and had no problem with. Chinese manufacture also good choice if you want to save money
    http://cgi.ebay.com/6x17-ROLL-film-b...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/6x12-612-Roll-Fi...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote Originally Posted by dominikus bw View Post
    3. If money is not an issue to your bank account get one of Sinar Vario, I use Horseman back and had no problem with. Chinese manufacture also good choice if you want to save money
    At the risk of looking like a complete newbie: How exactly are the Chinese roll film holders attached to the camera? Do the newer Sinars (Norma owner here) allow the user to remove the GG from the spring back (exposing a Graflok type mount?)?

Lasse,

newer Sinars have international (Graflok) backs.

If you're interested in Sinar lens boards I have one each of Sinar, Horesman and generic. Please PM me. Regards, Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Uusilehto View Post
    At the risk of looking like a complete newbie: How exactly are the Chinese roll film holders attached to the camera? Do the newer Sinars (Norma owner here) allow the user to remove the GG from the spring back (exposing a Graflok type mount?)?
    Lasse,

Like Jerry's said, newer Sinar have international backs, it is the same way if you use Sinar Vario or Horseman or others with international Graflok backs.
    Do you mean to remove the GG only?
    You don't need to remove the GG only but the hole set of the spring back is removed when I use horseman back.