Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No More JandC Photo

Re: No More JandC Photo

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    You don't think it strange they went to the trouble to put up a T-Max update?
    Not strange at all. John will open up a new business with a revamped web site shortly that will deal exclusively with ULF and LF sheet film. J&C is gone. My partipation with the TMY dealings with Kodak is solely as a volunteer contributor because I grew tired of the ranting about the demise of sheet film and wanted to do something positive about it.

Cheers!

My comment was directed at Marko who thought it normal for a domain parker to go to the trouble of putting up a T-Max update. Seemed pretty clear to me the site was in some how linked to the previous.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Not strange at all. John will open up a new business with a revamped web site shortly that will deal exclusively with ULF and LF sheet film. J&C is gone. My partipation with the TMY dealings with Kodak is solely as a volunteer contributor because I grew tired of the ranting about the demise of sheet film and wanted to do something positive about it.

Cheers!
    That's good news, I guess. I hope the new business will be more solid than the image the current website is projecting, though.

My comment was directed at Marko who thought it normal for a domain parker to go to the trouble of putting up a T-Max update. Seemed pretty clear to me the site was in some how linked to the previous.
    Nick,

The whole purpose of using a parked domain as an ad portal is to use the "old" traffic (users of the previous site unaware of the change) to attract as many ads as possible. They often try to attract related or at least remotely related ads in order to increase the click-through among the visitors who came to the old site wanting to find a specific information/product.

I don't want to bother you with the specifics of that business, but it is perfectly logical. It turns out I may have been wrong in my assumption about the domain ownership, but the current "design" certainly has the "look" that makes such an assumption easy.

Quote Originally Posted by steve simmons View Post
    The bankuptcy laws changed a couple of years ago and it is more difficult to blow off debts and start over.
    Yes this is true of personal bankruptcy (the law was pushed by the credit card companies.) Debts which were racked up fraudulently (when the debtor knew he was unable or unwilling to repay the debts) were never dischargable under bankruptcy laws.
    Again, I have no idea what was going on with J&C and I do not know if any of this even remotely applies to them - but if there's a new source for LF film, I for one am happy about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

I don't want to bother you with the specifics of that business, but it is perfectly logical. .
    Parking domains may be logical but not offering to deliver film that's been ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Nick,

The whole purpose of using a parked domain as an ad portal is to use the "old" traffic (users of the previous site unaware of the change) to attract as many ads as possible.
    I think in this case the domain was kept by the original owner and was not picked up by a portal operator or domaineer. The new website simply appears to be a roughly-developed site in its draft phase.

J&C's original site was functional but it was oh-so 1990's design-wise! Maybe they'll make a prettier site, or maybe they'll keep the old design elements (like the background color) because of the branding value...

Parking domains may be logical but not offering to deliver film that's been ordered.
    Nick, didn't you see what I said in the very next sentence after the one you quoted?

Besides, I buy my film locally, so I had no reason to actually click on the TMY link to see what's behind it. It just looked like an ad to me and I never click on ads.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrus View Post
    J&C's original site was functional but it was oh-so 1990's design-wise! Maybe they'll make a prettier site, or maybe they'll keep the old design elements (like the background color) because of the branding value...
    I hope they will make a new site, because, frankly, I don't see any value in the website that looks like a junk portal, an ugly one at that.

Perhaps they should invest just a bit of an extra effort to make sure their site reflects their seriousness regarding the new business. Almost anything would be an improvement over the current look.

I think the site is a "comming soon" attempt.

It seems the page html still points to the jandcphoto.com domain server for a couple background images.

What is strange to me is why cash in the jandcphoto name that had some good traffic. Maybe the owners think viewcamerafilm.com has a better brand potential for the long run.

fyi, I'm am one who payed $350 for TMY and have never recieved it. More disturbing is I have been trying to contact him for an explanation for many months now, though people who evidently are in contact with him, and he has yet to respond in any way. Not even an acknowledgement of my situation. Complete and total silence. This is the first I have complained in public, which is probably way overdue, given the way I've been treated.

Dave Eisenlord
    Minneapolis