Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aperture Blade Numbers

Aperture Blade Numbers

I have just mounted up 4 lenses was either gifted or bought for peanuts on the eBay mis-spelt list. The panels have proved to be my only expense really.

Anyway.. the process lenses all Agfa Intergons 150/210/270 f9 have 5 bladed apertures and the dallmeyer and zeiss tessar multi-bladed near circular. I have not had much use apart from a few polaroids in the house so far, as my car getting welded a lot, but how much have people seen a difference with the shape of apertures?

I know the wider the lens theoretically the less it should matter, but the Agfa lenses were from a process camera that was cost wise way in excess of anything normally purchased for standard camera use. Like the difference between zeiss still camera lenses and motion lenses. So will it effect the image, other than the OOF shaping?

I would like to note I am asking this as an " out of interest " question, I don't care about LPI or refractive indexes of lenses. Just does this number of blades really matter in truth of daily use?

Re: Aperture Blade Numbers

I think so, especially in back light situations and scenes that tend towards flare. That's why I shoot my five-bladed apertures wide open as often as I can.

Since the AGFA lenses were made for process use, out-of -focus images, which are what are affected by diaphragm shape, would not have been significant to the lens designer or the original user.

You might notice a differnce say in something like an outdoor portrait with trees with many leaves as background out of focus highlights. Other than that, I wouldn't be too concerned.

thanks guys, the answers I was looking for. I must admit I maily shoot wide open anyway as I take more pictures of people with the lengths I have, failing that I have a super-angulon and the crop tool in PS :-D

Quote Originally Posted by scrichton View Post

Anyway.. the process lenses all Agfa Intergons 150/210/270 f9 have 5 bladed apertures and the dallmeyer and zeiss tessar multi-bladed near circular.

I would like to note I am asking this as an " out of interest " question, I don't care about LPI or refractive indexes of lenses. Just does this number of blades really matter in truth of daily use?
    Yo,

I would expect these five-bladed lenses to exhibit very harsh bokeh.

best, andy

THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE

Andy, why?

I ask because there's more to bokeh than specular highlights, which do indeed show as tiny images of the diaphragm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Andy, why?

I ask because there's more to bokeh than specular highlights, which do indeed show as tiny images of the diaphragm.
    Yo Dan,

with the process lens the entire plane is expected to be in focus, so there is no consideration given to the appearance of areas beyond the depth of field. When these lenses are used in general photography, especially when shooting near wide open for subject isolation, vast background areas will be out of focus. The bokeh in these areas is affected by the blades of the diaphragm.

Diaphragms having only a few straight-sided blades will be expected to produce the harshest bokeh because of diffraction caused as light is bent around these larger blades. Diaphragms having rounded blades (or numerous straight ones) minimize the effects of this diffraction.

best,andy

So, Andy, if I shoot wide open so that diffraction is minimized and the diaphragm is out of the way, will I then get good bokeh?

And what's wrong with process lenses anyway? I mean, there are, and I have or have had, heliar types and dagor types ... Tessar types too, come to think of it.

Cheers,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    So, Andy, if I shoot wide open so that diffraction is minimized and the diaphragm is out of the way, will I then get good bokeh?

And what's wrong with process lenses anyway? I mean, there are, and I have or have had, heliar types and dagor types ... Tessar types too, come to think of it.
    Yo Dan,

WHOA!

You are completely mistaken if you presume I mean to condemn process lenses in photography.

With regards to your rhetorical question, you will simply have eliminated the aperture blades as a potential problem, so you will get whatever bokeh that lens produces. Are you asking this because you do not believe the blades affect bokeh?

best, andy

THERE'S MORE TO OPTICS THAN MEETS THE EYE

Andy, I've already pointed out that out-of-focus specular highlights are rendered as images of the aperture. This is why nearly all mirror lenses render oof highlights as rings.

Surely there's more to bokeh, whatever that means to you, than rendition of out-of-focus highlights. Please explain more fully what you mean by bokeh and what influences it.