Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Publish Your Photos Here!

Re: Publish Your Photos Here!

If it is abstract tell us which end is up. Otherwise we will use common sense and put the clouds up high and the dirt and rocks down low.

But yeah, we have the technology and skill to print horizontal shots horizontally. It took years of training and we made a lot of expensive mistakes, but we done got it nailed right good nowadays ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    Hi Cyrus. I finally got a shot that I'm happy with! Can you remind me what the size restrictions are, and what info needs to go into it. It is a horizontal shot; does that mean it will be printed on its side?
    There's no charge (unless you want to buy a copy of the book from Lulu.com after it is ready - I think the cost is about $20 or so)

B+W or Color submission is fine;

color space should be Adobe RGB (1998)

and the file should be a JPEG file not exceeding 3MB;

size should be 300 ppi for 8x10, at largest;

the file should either be named or tagged with the photographer's name and name of image;

Vertical shots will work best;

And submissions should go to fotosubmit@yahoo.com

It ain't abstract. It happens to have a little bit of rock and a little bit of sky and tiny little people in between (and none of them are walking on their hands)!

Given that it's horizontal and the page is vertical, will it end being just 8x6, or would it take up two pages, or will be printed on its side to take up one whole 8x10 page? That be my question. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    If it is abstract tell us which end is up. Otherwise we will use common sense and put the clouds up high and the dirt and rocks down low.

But yeah, we have the technology and skill to print horizontal shots horizontally. It took years of training and we made a lot of expensive mistakes, but we done got it nailed right good nowadays ;-)

Oh you mean like how View Camera would print stuff sideways in order to use the picture larger? I always that was cute-quaint, but not very professional.

Since we are doing up to two pictures per person, why not to double page spreads...? hmmm.... well I guess that could be a decision the designer makes when he sees the file and whether it would look good.

I know I said I wasn't going to edit it or make too many creative decisions, but I guess I will, I don't want the book to look dumb by any means. So I guess we'll see what we have to work with and go from there.

- to editors -

So - what is the current status? How many have joined - or - how many photos were submited? I would not be surprized if there are more than 100 submissions in total. In such a case - are you going to increase the number of photos in the book or make some selection? I can imagine that may be hard ...

Would it be impertinent to ask when the book might hit the shelves? I am looking forward soooo much ...

thanks
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    - to editors -

So - what is the current status? How many have joined - or - how many photos were submited? I would not be surprized if there are more than 100 submissions in total. In such a case - are you going to increase the number of photos in the book or make some selection? I can imagine that may be hard ...

Would it be impertinent to ask when the book might hit the shelves? I am looking forward soooo much ...

thanks
    There are just over 100 contribs in total (lost track of the exact count since some people sent revised versions of their previously submitted photos.) The number 100 selected was arbitrary; I don't think LuLu cares if theres 99 or 101 photos. Frank probably doesn't want to put up with too many photos though. If you're thinking of contributing, Sunday July 8th at 11:59 PM Eastern Standard Time will be the deadline. Then I will spend a few days gathering up the photos and ensuring that the right name/title goes with the right photo, before sending them off to Frank on a CD or something. I'll probably post a list here to make sure everyone approves of their name/photo title. Frank then does his magic & handles working with Lulu since he has the experience. I think Lulu's turnaround is pretty quick. Then you're free to buy as many copies of the book as you want with whatever $ generated going to Frank for his time and effort. Millions of dollars later, he's going to buy me a yatch.

Double page spread sounds good. My shot as it happens would benefit from the extra size (I like it printed 24" x 15" ). I leave it in your able hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Oh you mean like how View Camera would print stuff sideways in order to use the picture larger? I always that was cute-quaint, but not very professional.

Since we are doing up to two pictures per person, why not to double page spreads...? hmmm.... well I guess that could be a decision the designer makes when he sees the file and whether it would look good.

I know I said I wasn't going to edit it or make too many creative decisions, but I guess I will, I don't want the book to look dumb by any means. So I guess we'll see what we have to work with and go from there.

I won't make any money but I think it will be fun to do. If for example there are 140 submissions I will end up doing a 140 + 4 intro + 4 cover = 148 pages, although I might stick a couple of extra pages in with something about the forum so it doesn't look like a scrapbook.

I guess I will make some into spreads depending on the quality and how it all flows, but let's leave it a little open-ended until we see what we have to work with...

I'd like to do a proof version to evaluate first, in order to catch any mistakes, maybe just Cyrus and I will see it, then once we have it dialed it can go public. It will just be a link on the lulu site and you can buy them at cost using a CC or PayPal.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I've sent submission #2 - a brand new one, not a ten years old one this time. Slightly different crop from the one I've put here somewhere...

Frank,
    I was just looking at the Lulu site. Very interesting!

Have you used it before? If so, have you had B&W images included? I have had generally poor results with low cost printing of B&W work. If Lulu can produce decent B&W I would like to produce a catalog and/or a brochure using their service.

Also, I notice they have a 9”x7” landscape format in addition to the 8.5”x11” size. If the submissions are predominately horizontal compositions you might consider the landscape format. Your call of course, it’s just a suggestion. I am (like everyone else I assume) very grateful for the effort you and Cyrus are making.

Jerome