Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norman strobe packs query

Re: Norman strobe packs query

Or getting up a little earlier in the morning to balance indoor and outdoor light, if the space is accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    I spoke to a technician at Dyna-Lite last year about the M2000. It's rated to draw 18 amps, and he advised against using it on a 15 amp line; there's no slow-charge switch on the Dynas.
    Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Funny, because the Dynalite Service person didn't mention this. I've never had a problem, though. One thing, it only draws that amperage for about a second, so I don't think there's much worry about overheating wires, etc. I checked, and there's no electrical label on the pack that would indicate wattage, voltage, or amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    or just using tungsten and/or long exposures.
    Getting my hands on 10,000 watts of tungsten will be just as complicated (and far more taxing on the electrical system) as a high powered pack, and I still have a color balance issue. I don't think you understand the problem with balancing daylight. You can't go to longer exposures. That forces smaller apertures, which reduces the effectiveness of the strobe.

Getting there earlier may work, but the sun angles can be a problem with penetration as the sun gets lower. Sunlight on the floor will look normal, but sunlight on the walls does not.

This isn't an issue for rentals, as there aren't any rental houses nearby and I'll need the power on a regular basis anyway, so I need to be thinking of a purchase. I've got plenty of time to make a decision and then execute the plan before I need the lighting, especially since I have some currently and it has worked fine for me in the smaller spaces.

Ultimately, nobody actually answered the original question. Is there information on the various older packs available? The Norman site has the manuals for a few of the older models, but not all, so I am able to glean a little information off them that is useful. I'll be placing a call to Norman, but I don't like to bother a live person if the information is readily available somewhere on-line.

---Michael

The Norman folks are very helpful whenever I've had a question. I wouldn't hesitate to call.

I've tried to figure out the subtle differences between the different packs, and they're usually things like different arrangements of the capacitors for more or less variation in power levels or more adjustability, or features like built-in optical slaves, and of course the safety upgrades between older and later packs. I haven't kept notes on them, but just compare the one I'm looking at to the ones I've had (P800D, P2000D, and the 200B and 200C portables).

P2000D's are probably the most common, and if you need 4000 W-s in one head and don't happen to have a 4000 W-s pack, you can combine two of them with an LH-4000 head.

David,

Thanks. That combined power feature is probably the most logical thing they did. It really makes the packs much more flexible and wouldn't force the need for a single high power pack for most people.

---Michael

Note that that feature only works with the LH-4000 heads, which have a dual tube and two plugs.

Another consequence of this arrangement is that if you use an LH-4000 head with both tubes at the same power as you would otherwise use an LH-2000 or LH-2400 head and only one tube, the flash duration using two tubes will be half what it is with one tube.

Henry,
    Please. I have been using two 2000 Norman packs (I own 8) since 1983. They have been used very very heavily, as I do multiple pops routinely. Aside from the odd switch failing, the only time I have ever arced a head was because of my own stupidity and there was no danger, just a little noise.

The old style Normans are heavy and bulky but far more reliable than the newer models. They are virtually bullet proof unless you do something really stupid (though they are not coffee proof, but that is another story). In 24 years I have only had to retire only a couple of packs and those were the newer models which could not take our abuse and periodic stupidity.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

I know you use the 2000B models... when you say the 'newer' packs, do you mean the 24/24 or 40/40 packs? That is a couple of the options I'm looking at right now and trying to determine if they are suitable. They are certainly newer than the old 2000 and 4000 packs, but they are not terribly new in the scheme of things.

Thanks,

---Michael

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for the information. Funny, because the Dynalite Service person didn't mention this. I've never had a problem, though. One thing, it only draws that amperage for about a second, so I don't think there's much worry about overheating wires, etc. I checked, and there's no electrical label on the pack that would indicate wattage, voltage, or amperage.
    Neil - the specification, characterized as "average power consumption", is included in both the full-line product brochure and the instruction manual, available on the Dyna-Lite web site.

I'm sure there are many situations where one can get away with it. At the same time, it's understandable that a Dyna-Lite representative would be conservative in his recommendation. In purchasing equipment for myself, I too decided to err on the side of safety.
    Last edited by Oren Grad; 30-May-2007 at 19:33.

Kirk, I didn't mean to say anything bad about your lights. I meant my comments to be taken in regard to the stories littered through this thread of Norman packs and the resulting "electrical adventures". I'll pass on that, thank you very much! I've had two lights blow up in the last year and its not fun as you well know. I'm extra wary.