Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Norman strobe packs query

Re: Norman strobe packs query

I know you're asking about packs but I sure like my White Lightning mono lights. I mention them because they're not that expensive brand new with fine service and warranty. Four X1600s can make a lot of light. They recycle fast enough that you can do a lot of pops in a fairly short time if needed. No problem running two X1600s off one plug. (I've done three) Also, I sometimes use one of their inverter/battery packs and its really handy when there's no plug around.

Henry,

I have and use two x3200's and two x1600's regularly... They're great lights, but unfortunately not enough output for larger spaces. I can't shorten the exposure for the multiple pop approach any further than the maximum sync speed, and that can be a tremendous problem with daylight flooded spaces, which also happen to need some contrast balancing most of the time. Hence the desire for more power.

If I recall, I've run two 3200's and one 1600 on a circuit with no problems, and maybe both 3200's and 1600's as well, but I generally avoid doing that for obvious reasons. So far, I haven't tripped a breaker. I'll normally avoid using the modelling lights in these situations to avoid warming up the wiring with a constant load to add a bit more safety to the system.

The 4000 series Normans will work on a 15 amp circuit, which is why I was hoping that two 2000's would as well. However, I think the recycle time on the 2000 models is considerably shorter than the 4000, which would probably negate the possibility due to inrush current.

Michael

Personally I think the best bang for the buck in a reasonable durable package is a collection of the older D-series Dynalites. A Dyna 800 is almost the same power as a Speedo 2400, in a package half the size and weight, just as robust, and dirt cheap. I've bought a pack and head for $150. For $600 I got 2 packs, 4 blower heads. If I were hardcore I'd get even more.

Michael,

Just thinking here, not trying to deny your needs or anything like that. I understand what you're saying about filling a big daylight lit space. And now that I think about it more I bet you're using an old shutter with pretty slow max speeds.

Why not just double up on what you have now? Would not twice the power you have now in one pop make it happen for you? Four more 3200s along with what you have now would make the sun blush. I'm thinking this way partly so you'd have all the same speed rings, reflectors, etc. to fit all your lights.

Of course if you found a deal like Frank mentioned you'd have to snap that up quick.

I looked at a pair of 4000 ws Normans at our local pro shop. I thought I was following instructions when I turned the unit off, pressed the discharge button, and then toggled a switch to change the watt-seconds.

Ka-pow! That thing lit up like a Christmas tree.

Frankly, I wouldn't go near a 4000 watt-second Norman pack. Nor a 2000, etc. They can be lethal. I contacted the Norman service guy, and he said that the pack must have been defective.

I guess they can be used. But one has to do things just so, to avoid having a problem. Not for me.

Henry,

The problem I see with doubling up is that it ends up being an awful lot of equipment, and there is often very little room to place all the light stands and umbrellas and whatever. I'm thinking that a 2000 and maybe 4000 will give me the flexibility to put up an high wattage lantern when necessary, and the device can also be dialed back for more normal wattages as well.

A single 4000 unit will work on a 15amp circuit, whereas I'm about sure that four of the 3200's will not. They charge faster, and will end up tripping the breaker.

In the end, it's one way to solve the light balance problem, but not the only way. I have a very large interior space that I need to shoot soon, and need some plan in hand by then. At the moment, I'm not sure what I will do, but it feels like the Norman approach may work best for my needs.

---Michael

I bought a couple of used, factory checked Dynalite M2000 packs from the service guy at Dynalite and hadn't used them for a while. To condition them, he had me connect them in series to a resistor circuit. That is, I spliced the resistor circuit into one of the two wires that would go into the AC plug. (Including the ground, it would be one of the three.)

The resistor circuit consisted of four 470 ohm, 25 watt resistors connected in parallel. In effect, I believe this would be the same as a 100 watt, 117.5 ohm resistor.

This increased the recharge time to a few seconds, versus the typical second or so. I would think that something of this kind could work.

The only thing is that, one of my packs won't come to a full charge with this setup. So, I would think that one could have a switch that would short out the resistor. My thought is to turn the pack on and let it charge for a few seconds, and then short out the resistor so that the pack then connects normally to the wall, thereby completing the charge.

I would think that the bulk of the charge would be through the resistor, so that it wouldn't blow a breaker. (Or a fuse.) Throwing the switch would complete the remaining charge.

I haven't tried this. But, I would consider trying it if I needed to photograph in an old house, or something.

By the way, I connected one pack at a time to this setup, not both at one time.

I spoke to a technician at Dyna-Lite last year about the M2000. It's rated to draw 18 amps, and he advised against using it on a 15 amp line; there's no slow-charge switch on the Dynas. I wasn't comfortable messing with an electrical kludge, so I ended up looking elsewhere - with regret, because the Dynas seem to have a reputation for delivering good performance and excellent value for money.

Michael, to ask the obvious, is this a job for which it would be cost-effective to rent a set of appropriate high-end gear? That need not prejudice your decision about which brand you want to buy for yourself for the long run, but it would at least take off the immediate pressure over what is a pretty complicated buying decision.

Oren's got a good idea - rental might well be an attractive solution.

Thinking about using old packs gives me the creeps. Like maybe I'd carry a fire extinguisher with me at all times. And have an assistant to call 911 after you get electrocuted. Nice modern rental lights sound lots safer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    snipped....

Michael, to ask the obvious, is this a job for which it would be cost-effective to rent a set of appropriate high-end gear? That need not prejudice your decision about which brand you want to buy for yourself for the long run, but it would at least take off the immediate pressure over what is a pretty complicated buying decision.

or just using tungsten and/or long exposures.