Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I nuts?

Re: Am I nuts?

Thanks Paul, and to everyone. I feel much better about taking my camera. Even if the film gets ruined by xrays, at least I brought the camera in the fist place.. As far as I know right now, we will be taking off and landing 10-12 times total. Not sure how many different planes that will be, but it will be at least 4.. Now, if I could just find good places to shoot near brisbane

There are no commercial labs for 8x10 in Brisbane so that may be a problem, and definately bring your film with you, or send it across before you come over. 8x10 film is rarer than hens teeth in Brisbane and extremely expensive.

I would be more than happy to show you around while you are here. Lots of good places to head to for a day or two of shooting, just let me know what you like taking and I will give you a few suggestions. And if you want someone to shoot with let me know.

While I think of it, I have half a dozen new fidelity 8x10 holders you can borrow while you are here if you like. Have checked out a couple of labs as well. Nothing here, but I overnight some of my colour films to Melbourne and Sydney for processing and have them back a day or 2 later so that may be an option for you.

As far as locations are concerned, you will be very close to the rainforest areas on the Qld and NSW borders, an hour or 2 away from some of the worlds best beaches, and some of the architecture in the city (the old stuff by our standards) is not bad. Just remember that we are in one of the worst droughts in recorded history so the country areas are a bit parched, but still worth heading to. Let me know any of the places you have heard about and are interested in and I will give you some specifics.

But definately bring the 8x10 with you. It will be well worth it.

Thanks Craig- Glad to know there is someone there shooting big negatives! I like to shoot everything really, although recently I have been more into abstracts and general naturey texture sort of things. I'd love to see some landscapes, or land formations in general. I will definitely be shooting in Brisbane, as I don't get to do to much architecture where I live. Thank you for offering the holders to, but I think I will come out ok on that front- I have ten, but I promised my girl that I wouldn't shoot ALL day! I do have another question, what restaurants do you recommend? Can be fancy (read, expensive), as we are also there for the food! Can't wait to get down there!

Doug Dolde

Ask Nick Rains where to buy/process film in Brisbane. He has a gallery in Brisbane. Lovely town I have been there half a dozen times at least. Keep in mind everything is backwards down there...sun goes across the northern sky, water goes the other way down the drain, etc. A totally different night sky also. Oh yea don't forget it's the equivalent of November down there, but at an Orlando lattitude.

http://www.nickrains.com

I travel to Australia about once a year, I'll be going again in September. However, I only shoot 4x5 (and some 35mm). The biggest issue you will face is weight restrictions. Many people forget that the weight allowance for domestic flights is much less than international flights. Check your tripod in your checked luggage; if necessary leave as much in the way of causal clothing at home as you can. Then purchase more once you get to Brisbane.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Ask Nick Rains where to buy/process film in Brisbane. He has a gallery in Brisbane.
    He pretty well shoots 6x17 - 120 film isn't that difficult to get.

If you have insurance though rental insurance or you decide to insure your camera, beware. If your camera is stolen you must show forced entry and a police report. Only then will the insurance company cover your loss.

My friend forgot to lock his car and had $20,000 in camera equipment stolen. All of it was insured, but none of it was covered because there was no sign of forced entry.

Yes, I've seen the same thing happen- only with expensive bicycle equipment. Insurance companies are mostly evil in my limited experience (I'm 24). I'm sure in ten years I'll have an even more pessimistic view.. As for signs of forced entry, I'll say this: The camera will be in a pack on my back the whole trip, so the insurance company will see my blood all over the pack if someone manages to steal it off my back... Hopefully, that will be good enough

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Willard View Post

none of it was covered because there was no sign of forced entry.
    thats what rocks are for........
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery