Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Focus aid question

Focus aid question

For years, my habit has been to use strong reading glasses for preliminary focusing, and a loupe for the final critical focus. Unfortunately, my 30 year old Nikon 8x loupe has finally been dropped one time too many. From what is now available, what are the good choices for a loupe to be used for ground glass focusing? While cost is not a primary consideration, I don't want to lay down a lot of cash for overkill quality.

Re: Focus aid question

I do quite well with my 3.6x TOYO loupe, though I would be interested in 8x loupe recommendations too. I see some near $50 Chinese items on the 'BAY, but wonder if they really are useful.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I use reading glasses for the rough focus and use a TOYO 3.6 Focusing aid for the fine. I believe it to be in the $25-$30 range.

I like my Toyo loupe as it is long enough to be used with the folding hood on my Wista VX.

Another vote for Toyo. I used a 4x Schneider for years until I saw a toyo. Thought I'd like the extra length (which I do), but I also like the padded edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ley View Post
    I like my Toyo loupe as it is long enough to be used with the folding hood on my Wista VX.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I have for sale (posted a few weeks ago) a Wista 7x loupe. Purchased 4 months ago for $110, selling for $85, which includes shipping in North America.

Rick Russell
    richardrussell-1@ca.rr.com

Up to now I am using the peak 8x lupe with rectangular base which I really do not like - It is very low has quite som pincuishion distortion and is sharp only in the centre. Also it is quite dim (I have Tachihara with fresnel GG) - your eye had to be aligned to the optical axes to be able to use it. So - I just won an auction on Horizon 4x lupe (50x50 mm base) which other users reported to be very nice. I it costs new $55 in (for example here - have a look they make also different models).
    I will report once it arrives.

Should 4x magnification be too little - I might have a look at some 7x/8x dedicated focusing lupes (Wista or Horseman).

I was playing also with Rodenstock 4x Aspherical - a beautifull piece of optics - if your framing around GG is not too thick - this loupe has enough depth of field so that event slightly tillted it still gets the focus properly.

matus

Another happy Toyo 3.6x user checking in.

I also have a Silvertri 6x loupe - focusable and it has a tilting base. I prefer the Toyo and rarely use the Silvestri. In fact, I recently bought a second Toyo just to have a backup in case I lose one.

Cheers,
    Mark

Silvestri 6X duo loupe..Wonderful and tiny...EC

I start with # 3 reading glasses to these I have a pair of flip down 3# magifiers. I get the focus close with the reading glasses then flip down the magifiers and am able to get about 3 inches from the GG without trying to look thru some little tube or worry about hitting the GG nor is the angle of observation an issue. I got the flip downs from Cabellas for 10 bucks.