Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seattle neophyte

Seattle neophyte

Hi, all.

I found this forum during my research into LF. I have so much to learn. I used to shoot 35mm back in the late 70s early 80s, then fell out of it til I got back into photography with digital. My digital kit is Nikon, and is good quality stuff, but I have been getting increasingly frustrated with its’ (or my) limitations, which came to a head about a month ago when I went up to Skagit County to shoot the tulip fields, and just couldn’t get the shots I envisioned.

Thus began my search and research into LF. Which way to go? View? Wood field? Technical? This morning I ordered up a Linhof Technika V from one of the better NYC camera stores, and now will be waiting for its arrival like an eight year old waiting for Xmas. I got this camera for less than the cost of a perspective control lens for my Nikon, but of course, the camera isn’t coming with a lens, Polaroid back, shutter release, etc, etc.

My screen name reflects my understanding of my almost total (current) ignorance of this format. I thank you all in advance for your patience with what I am sure will numerous basic questions.

I look forward to the journey….

Re: Seattle neophyte

Welcome Village,

LF is easy as along as you remember all the details of pulling off an image. I'm always doing idiot things when I don't follow my normal shoot pattern.

Remember, never pull the dark slide until you have a shutter fully cocked.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I'm sorry, but the role of village idiot is already taken. Get in line and wait until I'm finished with it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I'm sorry, but the role of village idiot is already taken. Get in line and wait until I'm finished with it.
    It takes a village....

Dear VI

May suggest some reading to help elevate your status to village neophyte

Using the View Camera that i wrote

or

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga

check your local library

Also, the Free Articles section of the View Camera web site

www.viewcamera.com

More unsolicited advice

pick one film, one film developer if you are working with black and white and doing your own, and stay with them for at least a year. Joining the film of the month club is a sure way to nowhere.

Find some other lf photographers and go out with them. You will feel much less lost and they will accelerate your way through the mistakes we've all made..

steve simmons

No such thing as a stupid question.

Greetings from elsewhere in Seattle.

Steve, this should make you happy, I bought your book and just received it via USPS yesterday, and the other two are on hold at my library, along with Stroebels' "View Camera Technique". I have some studying to do. Thanks for the other suggestions as well...

Michael, you may have taken on the role of village idiot, but I hold the title

Thanks for the welcome(s)!

Stroebel's book is probably not a good place to start. It is better, IMHO, as a long term reference rather than an intro text.

good luck

steve

Also, greeting from a near-Seattle photographer. I agree with Steve, read the books first to get some background. Since you have the camera, you need to get the lenses and other equipment, and that's where the books and a checklist is handy. I only started in 4x5 recently and have a blog on my experiences and mistakes as I learn, see my LFBlog. I can't say enough to determine a budget because it can very easily get away from you if you don't account for the equipment and film.

On the good side, Seattle has some good resources, Glazer's and Ivey Imaging (next door to each other) to find equipment, film, processing, and experienced people. And there are some excellent on-line resources for cameras, lenses, etc., such as KEH and others.

To everyone else I got my first sheets back (16 b&w, 6 Provia), mostly to get the basics, exposure and camera controls. All the b&w were exposed correctly and 3 of the color were off about 1 f-stop, one for the polarizer adjustment. Next in line is a scanner, but I have to say it's really cool to see a 4x5 sheet properly composed and exposed.

As for the field process, that's turning out to be the easiest part, mostly because I'm a process thinker and spent 13 years of field work where consistency was necessary to do everything correctly and in order. The hard part for me is the exposure. After that are the camera controls, so it's more learning exercises (stupid buildings, don't they know to stand up straight?).
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Oh, and you couldn't be an idiot because you just purchased one of the finest technicle field cameras ever made!!!! Now be on the look out for the grip with cable release, and a 150mm lens and a 545i and your set
    Phillip