Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Jesus at 100

Re: Jesus at 100

You were there on time, Jim. Perfect. What a thing to be able to have made his portrait in his final days. I hope the family cherishes it for many years.

Jim, this is such a superb portrait, in fact I was inspired to return to photography after viewing a similar portrait. I hope some day to develop such talent. I'm sure Jesus' family will treasure this image. Thankyou for sharing.

Wonderful, dignified portrait of a man, who probably has stories to keep you enthralled for days.

This is a difficult post for me to write -- I disagree that this is good portrait photography.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

"This is a difficult post for me to write -- I disagree that this is good portrait."

Why am I not surprised!!??

Gari

You cant help but feel a sense of the mans soul when looking into that photograph... quite extraordinary.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    This is a difficult post for me to write -- I disagree that this is good portrait photography.
    Like all photography/art/everything, there is room for disagreement. But I'd be curious to hear why...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Like all photography/art/everything, there is room for disagreement. But I'd be curious to hear why...
    Because it calls attention to the photographic technique, rather than on the subject. The shallow DOF leaving the ears appearing to shimmer in the breeze was a common technique of the often-named "Rembrandt Photo Studio"s which came and went in the low-rent districts of our towns and cities in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. Even the school kids had to laugh when they walked past a window display of these freaks.
    It almost seems a snobbish thing to say, but the socio-ecconomic statis of any family could be quickly assertained by a quick peek at the family portraits on the piano or mantle. Middle-class had "Olin Mills" quality which was a considerable step above the "Rembrandt Studios."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have to admit its a bit odd (to a newb like me) due to the ears being out of focus, but apart from that its a great capture and I'm sure will make a wonderful print.

Bill- thanks for sharing, your right that art evokes an opinion from everyone good and bad. Thanks for posting the information about different styles of portraits in the 30's, 40's and 50's. I like to think I learned a little something.

A splendid portrait of a splendid subject. The humanity in the man's face makes the image quality worthwhile.

I don't know much about the characteristics of Petzval lenses. I take it that the very small area of really sharp focus is due to curvature of field rather than selective focus/wide aperture?

Kendrick Pereira