Thread: Reilablility of older Jobo CPP & CPA processors

lazy retired bum

Reilablility of older Jobo CPP & CPA processors

I read the old-new thread about Jobo breakdowns in the Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing area, http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=15580. I am searching for a used Jobo CPP-2 or CPA-2 to use with my newly acquired Expert drum. I am now using the drum on an old Beseler motor. It seems to work, but I must confess, I miss the convenience of ma processor that is semi "automatic." With a "real" Jobo, you can turn your back on it, even take a bathroom break, on the Beseler base, if I turn my back, it rolls off, despite my best efforts at leveling.

Are the owners of these older units seeing them fail regularly? I have the Jobo web page, http://www.jobousadarkroom.com/bulletins/b019.htm, that refers to the various motor upgrades. Most of the units on ebay seem to be the older ones that are prior to the upgrades. I know because I ask the sellers for the serial numbers and look them up.

Is the jist of this that I should just await a newer upgraded motor unit, and pay the presumably higher price?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eric

Re: Reilablility of older Jobo CPP & CPA processors

Recently I have found the biggest problem with repairing an older Jobo is getting parts. Delivery time has been extremely long. I would hold out for a used one with a later model motor, and if possible, the newer lift which uses a single black spring at the top rather than the white clips on either side.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

You can get an upgrade from Omega, but the price for it is $1200 + labor + shipping there & back. Either get the newer Jobo or else just use the machine as a tempering tank with the expert drum.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I've looked at a few of the used Jobo processors over the past few years, and most of what I found has been pretty beat up.

Most, not all, but most used Jobo processors on the market I have seen either came from commercial labs shutting down part or all of their "wet" darkroom work, or say darkrooms/labs from universities & colleges.

In almost all cases, I am struck by the abuse these poor machines have taken. Also the filth of them. One camera store I was in about 6 years ago in Toronto was selling a couple used Jobos, and I thought to myself, I would be ashamed to show something that filthy in a store, used or not.

I now use Jobo 2500 drums on Unicolour base, and I still have my eyes open for a used Jobo processor, but so far no luck. I think your situation is not unlike mine when i bought a used DeVere enlarger last year when a lab in Toronto shut down it's public darkroom and sold the gear. It took me a good three weeks to take apart, clean, repaint and repair all the abuse that enlarger had taken over the years. I know I spent more on parts and paint than I did on the enlarger itself, but in the end run, I am happy with what i have.

You are in the same place with the Jobos - both DeVeres and Jobos are tough units, but the difference, to me anyhow, is that you often get chemicals spilled and not cleaned up after use on the Jobos. One used Jobo processor I saw for sale had at least quarter of an inch thick dried fix on it in places. totally gross - how do you let something happen like that? I figure if somebody cannot keep it clean, then that machine was probally abused over time. Also, if somebody is spilling that much chemistry all over the place to begin with, did any of it get into the motors, gears, electronics, etc? Who knows.

Good luck, and if you do find a few good used Jobos at good prices, let me know, but don't buy one unless you can see it in person.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?