Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

Re: Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

Yeah, I've met Mr. Sumac.

Walking around with my 4x5 in the bush on my in-law's farm in Australia I came across stinging trees -- imagine a stinging nettle that is tree size. Crazy place. Love it!

To keep this on topic...no stinging trees on the Southern Oregon coast (that I know of).

Vaughn

Unhappy Re: Suggestions for Southern Oregon Coast

You should take some Tecnu with you. It's available over the counter. Take a shower as soon as you can and apply it to all exposed body parts. It removes the oils which cause the problem. If you think that you may have contacted poison oak on your hands be care not to spread it to your genitals when going to the bathroom. It can be real nasty. Donald R. Kellogg, MD

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've never even heard of poison oak and have no idea what it looks like so I guess I'll just take my chances.
    Brian - look around in the Ponderosa country near Bend and I'm sure you'll find some Poison Oak. I know it grows in the Ponderosa/Oak transition up north of you between Hood River and The Dalles.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    As a short stop, there's a state park with beds of insect eating plants. I can't remember the name, but I think that it's about 2/3rds down the Oregon coast. Sounds gruesome, but it isn't. Different and interesting, though.
    Neil - I love that place too. It's called the "Darlingtonia Wayside" and it is about 5 miles north of Newport on the east side of 101.

And I second the suggestion of Bandon and the Oregon Dunes as well.

Here's a shot of mine from the Oregon Dunes:
    http://www.keyesphoto.com/Dune_Grass_In_Wind.html

Brian,

The southern Oregon coast is beutifull, however during the month of May you can get skunked by heavy rain and 45 mph winds (like I did a year ago). Be ready for frequent heavy winds. My favorite place to go is Cape Blanco. I have gone back twice in the summer and have been hit by adverse weather and heavy wind. The locals told me to come back in the August, September, October time frame when the winds have died down and the rain has stopped. Although August is a busey tourist month, they are generally well behaved. Travel around and check out everything if you can. Let me know where you end up.

Best Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Neil - I love that place too. It's called the "Darlingtonia Wayside" and it is about 5 miles north of Newport on the east side of 101.

And I second the suggestion of Bandon and the Oregon Dunes as well.

Here's a shot of mine from the Oregon Dunes:
    http://www.keyesphoto.com/Dune_Grass_In_Wind.html
    Darlingtonia is about five miles north of Florence, well south of Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Runkel View Post
    Darlingtonia is about five miles north of Florence, well south of Newport.
    Thanks for the correction!

Shore Acres, a bit south of Coos Bay, is well worth the visit. Great beaches, lighthouse, and some really nice cliffs above the ocean. If you are heading to Bandon, Coos Bay (and Shore Acres) is only an hour north along 101.

There is a state park, maybe a mile or two north of Shore Acres. If you reserve ahead, you can rent a yurt for the night. Not a bad idea if the weather is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ruderman View Post
    Shore Acres, a bit south of Coos Bay, is well worth the visit. Great beaches, lighthouse, and some really nice cliffs above the ocean. If you are heading to Bandon, Coos Bay (and Shore Acres) is only an hour north along 101.

There is a state park, maybe a mile or two north of Shore Acres. If you reserve ahead, you can rent a yurt for the night. Not a bad idea if the weather is a concern.
    I just spent a week there (Sunset Bay/Shore Acres) and the campground is Sunset Bay State Park, maybe only a quarter mile north of Shore Acres. Yurts are $27 a night but are nice; heaters, electric.. If you reserve, it's through ReserveAmerica.com and you'll pay a $6.00 reservation fee.

Enjoy.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site