Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilex 90mm F8 Acugon

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Ilex 90mm F8 Acugon

Hi everyone;
    I just picked up one of these little gems the other day in fine shape. Something of a "sleeper" IMO. The one I have is not a Caltar, but the actual Ilex Acugon. It's the one that looks a bit like a super angulon, or a clone thereoff, but it has no filter threads (which is why God invented electrical tape ).

Anyhow, while i am ready and anxious to try it out, does anybody have any hard data on this lens, specifically circle of coverage? It appears I can push my little Tachihara to the limits with this lens in terms of movements, so I suppose it does not really matter, but just curious.

.....and yes, I have done a Google for it, but man, all I seem to turn up is endless Ebay listings (mostly expired).

thanks
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

Re: Ilex 90mm F8 Acugon

I've got it's "little brother" - 65mm f:8. It just barely covers 4x5". That's why I bought it, since I tend to switch to 5x7" when 90mm on 4x5" isn't wide enough. Saves me carrying an extra camera...

Joe, try Google Groups. I searched hard after I got my 65/8, found a thread in which someone quoted a claim in a B&J catalog to the effect that it covers 6.1". I also found but didn't put in my notes coverage claims etc. for the 47/8 and 90/8.

Practically speaking, although they were designed and made in Rochester (designer Manuel Kiner), f/8 Acugons are the same as f/8 Super Angulons. Same coverage to within a couple of mm.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

I've owned one of these for about 30 years. Mine is in a Seikosha shutter which needed repair once in its career. I tested it against a contemporary Super Angulon (f/8) and they were nearly identical in performance.

Ilex made a few variations of that lens. I have a 90mm f8 "Ilex Acu-Veriwide" which I was told (perhaps wrongly) was a later issue. In any case, my lens covers about 105 degrees (~235mm) and is sharper, has more coverage, although is slightly less contrasty than the single-coated 90mm f8 Super Angulon I previously owned.

Attached is a scan of a 5x7 transparency made with my Ilex 90/8 Acu-Veriwide with about an inch of front drop.

On a somewhat related topic, I have a 65mm f8 Caltar-II in a Copal 0 that looks like a shrunken 90 Super Angulon (unlike the Schneider 65 f8 S-A in a 00 shutter). Is this a version of the Acugon, or merely a 65 f8 S-A redesigned to fit in a 0 shutter? It has far more coverage that one would expect, enough for at least 20 mm of shift.

Your lens is a rebadged 65mm Super Angulon; later models of the SA were designed to fit into a Copal 0 shutter after the 00 size was discontinued.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Hi guys;
    Thanks much everyone. I am really looking forward to this lens, as the coverage and movements I can get out of my camera are pretty darned good.

Now my only issue is I think I need a larger backpack for everything.

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

funkadelic

Do any of you find this lens needs a center filter?
    My sample of this lens doesn't have filter threads. It should make for a nice wide angle on my 5x7. Currently my widest is 120mm.

More data may be available at Cameraeccentric.com.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg