Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Architectural photography. Large format vs digital

Architectural photography. Large format vs digital

I have been questioning architectural photographers regarding their use of digital cameras for their work.A good number of people have been using the Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II for their final work not just for composition and lighting .
    I would be interested to hear from member of this forum who do a significant amount of architectural work if they are using film or digital for their work and if so if what conditions etc.
    Thank you in advance for the answers.

Luis

Re: Architectural photography. Large format vs digital

I use both and teach both for Architectural Photography. There are many times digital is more suitable for some architectural photography. Unfortunately the reliance on "fixing it in Photoshop" makes many photographers ditch the use of large format in favor of digital without knowing much about the ramifications of just such a "fix".

Like anything else, there are times when digital is the correct tool for the job and there are other times where large format is the correct tool. Each brings something to the table and it is up to the photographer to choose the correct one for the job at hand while weighing the pros and cons of each. Unfortunately, more and more clients think that digital is the be-all and end-all for professional photographers. I guess we have the camera manufacturer's marketing folks to thank for that.

Respectfully,

Randy

I was using a 1Ds Mk II for half a year before exchanging it for a medium format back. The quality of the canon with good WA lenses (Zeiss Distagon) can be extremely good. Distortions can be corrected nearly perfectly with the right tools. I did some enlargements to 120x80 cm for a client and they were still good in comparison to a enlarged 6x9 cm.
    But I was missing the ability to compose on location. I really like to see the composition, the relation to the edges of the image. I need a camara with vertical and horizontal shift. Now, for over one year I am using a 22 MP digital back (now with a Gottschalt DS-30 Camera) and have never used film again. I don't like to fix too many things in post, but i think the possibilities of digital go beyond fixes.

Regards
    Dominique

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    Unfortunately, more and more clients think that digital is the be-all and end-all for professional photographers. I guess we have the camera manufacturer's marketing folks to thank for that.

Respectfully,

Randy
    Randy,

I feel very lucky. My clients prefer the final output created from a 4x5 transparency over a "straight digital" image. I recently had a job that I completed the assignment per the specified 4x5. As light was still quite good, I shot some additional exteriors using my EOS digital with my 24mm TS-E lens (essentially giving me a miniature digital view camera). I personally felt the digital shots were pretty good so I included digital proofs with my tranny proofs. NONE of the digitals were selected to fill the order.
    Bill McMannis

No contest - Large format for architectural work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    No contest - Large format for architectural work.
    You might want to ask Kirk's opinion on that.....

Has anyone tried the Cambo X2-PRO system that supposedly turns your Canon dSLR into a view camera?

I also noticed that for this system as well as the Cambo Digital Wide DS that only digital large format lenses are being paired with them. Will normal large format lenses NOT work with these systems?

I saw these in the latest Calumet catalog and I'm curious...

I just wrote this very long reply and promptly accidentally erased it and I don't have time to redo it, as such, as I am in Chicago doing final critiques at SAIC.

The point is, if you are interested in doing this for a living you, need to use the right tool for the job and not think that past standards (4x5) is still the end all and be all. In many cases 4x5 is simply overkill quality wise or too slow to turn around when the client only wants files (all clients want files these days except for a few, very few, magazines). Editorial is a prime example, a well handled Canon 5D with TS lenses is capable of quality far exceeding the needs of any magazine.

For more reasons than I can go into now, IMO the best tool kit right now is a good 4x5 LF camera/scanner setup and a good Canon full frame DSLR with TS lenses. Everything else is not well targeted or not cost effective. Those two cameras cover all bases and allows me to do a cost effective, quality job for any potential client. My client base is extremely diverse from local and national magazines to hotel chains, ad agencies, top tier architects and local builders plus books, posters and calenders. On top of that my architectural related artwork shows all over the country and I do HABS reports and teach AP at universities and workshops. I have used Betterlight backs, MFDC and the Cambo X@ Pro. None of which I would take on a job for many reasons, expense, awkwardness slow workflow, you name it. What I am saying here comes from real day to day experience in the AP trenches, but I also have phenomenal access to test all the equipment that is out there.

I use a 50 year old 4x5 Calumet Wide Field and a 4x5 Zone VI with 47,56,90,120,150,210,305 lenses with an Epson V750 scanner and a Canon 5D (+30D for emergency backup) with Canon 17-40, 28-70, 70-200, 24TS, 35PC (Olympus), 45TS. and 135 lenses, a ton of lighting and a good assistant that knows my gear. With these two setups I can handle anything that comes up with a quality that meets my standards (which are always higher than my clients-always exceed your clients expectations and you will never be without work, exceed them too much and you can't make a living).
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I basically agree with Kirk. Learning to think of film as an intermediate digital capture medium simplifies the problem greatly however. It makes quite a bit of sense.

Smile Re: Architectural photography. Large format vs digital

Thank for all the answers.
    I particularly appreciate the opinion of people with real hands on experience rather than theoretical .
    For Kirk, if you have time whenever you return home, send me that long reply you mentioned to my private emal.I would be most grateful.

Luis